Prev: date bug?
Next: ext2 empty
From: Jochen Schulz on
emigrant:
> On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 20:21 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>>
>> NACK. Debian releases are supported until the next (major) release +
>> another year. Usually, that's more than one year in total.

D'ouh. Of course, I meant to write "that's more than two years in
total".

> :-(
> is the life cycle of debian such short?

Why 'short'? Take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Release_history

Lenny was released in February 2009. If squeeze is released, say in
October 2010, Lenny will go out of support in October 2011. That's a
lifecycle of two years and eight months.

> isn't lenny available for a long time now? i understand it is a major
> release.
> and isn't squeez a major release too?

Yes and yes. Major releases have code names, point releases just
increment the version number by a fraction.

J.
--
When I am at nightclubs I enjoy looking at other people and assessing
their imagined problems.
From: emigrant on
On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 20:50 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> emigrant:
> > On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 20:21 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> >>
> >> NACK. Debian releases are supported until the next (major) release +
> >> another year. Usually, that's more than one year in total.
>
> D'ouh. Of course, I meant to write "that's more than two years in
> total".
>
> > :-(
> > is the life cycle of debian such short?
>
> Why 'short'? Take a look at this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Release_history
>
> Lenny was released in February 2009. If squeeze is released, say in
> October 2010, Lenny will go out of support in October 2011. That's a
> lifecycle of two years and eight months.
>
> > isn't lenny available for a long time now? i understand it is a major
> > release.
> > and isn't squeez a major release too?
>
> Yes and yes. Major releases have code names, point releases just
> increment the version number by a fraction.
>
> J.

Thanks a lot Jochen Schulz

emigrant wrote:

> How long is squeeze supported?

> thanks.

The short answer is at least 3 years.

Two years as stable and one year as old-stable, but we are talking about
Debian, so those times and days can get stretched a bit. :-)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Squeeze at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263

On Lu, 31 mai 10, 20:21:47, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> CamaleĆ³n:
> > On Mon, 31 May 2010 23:22:46 +0530, emigrant wrote:
> >
> >> thanks.
> >
> > It has not been released yet! :-)
> >
> > ~2 years after it gets released, AFAIK.
>
> NACK. Debian releases are supported until the next (major) release +
> another year. Usually, that's more than one year in total.

...but not more than the next major release (but this is highly unlikely
to ever happen), because Debian can't support 3 releases at the same
time.

Regards,
Andrei
First  |  Prev  |