From: Sthu Deus on
Thank You for Your time and answer, Boyd:

>Most CD rippers prefer (or require) the use of the
>character device in addition (or instead of) the block device. The character
>device should allow more fine-grained control and also access to sub-channel
>data that the block device doesn't expose.[2]

I want to use cdda2wav util...

Thank You for Your time and answer, Stan:

>It's been along
>time...that feature may have required "mounting" the remote share with a local
>drive letter. Anyway, it worked, and worked well.

OR is it possible to grab from iso-files that were dd-ed on the remote machine and then transmitted to mine?

On Thursday 14 January 2010 06:43:41 Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Stan:
> >It's been along
> >time...that feature may have required "mounting" the remote share with a
> > local drive letter. Anyway, it worked, and worked well.
>
> OR is it possible to grab from iso-files that were dd-ed on the remote
> machine and then transmitted to mine?

An .iso file is generally a ISO-9660 filesystem i.e. from a (single track of
a) data CD.

Data CDs can be mounted and shared over Samba/NFS or shared as a block device
through ATAoE, iSCSI, or NBD without issue.

A dd from a redbook audio CD (CDDA) will be missing the subchannel data. You
might be able to convince some rippers to use it, but it is inferior for the
same reason just sharing the block device via ATAoE, iSCSI, or NBD is.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
On Thursday 14 January 2010 06:40:42 Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Boyd:
> >Most CD rippers prefer (or require) the use of the
> >character device in addition (or instead of) the block device. The
> > character device should allow more fine-grained control and also access
> > to sub-channel data that the block device doesn't expose.[2]
>
> I want to use cdda2wav util...

Using -interface cooked_ioctl might work on a device shared via ATAoE, iSCSI,
or NBD.

Using -interface generic_scsi will probably not work unless the program can
correctly determine and access the raw SCSI (character-oriented) device. I do
not know of a way to share any character-oriented device over the network.

(ssh $cd_host 'cdda2wav -D $cd_device -x -s -paranoia -' > FullCD.wav) or
something similar should work if you can install cdda2wav on the computer
containing the CD drive but you don't have enough disk space for WAV file on
that computer.
From: Camaleón on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:39:03 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>
>>How about exporting the CD as another regular share (via samba or NFS)?
>
> Will it be possible to use a device, not FS?!

I don't think so :-(

But just test it, you can only lose time :-)

Export the CD share via samba or nfs and mount it locally into the target
machine where you are going to run the ripper. And let the program doing
its work.

Whether it fails, you'll have to search another solution for your problem.

May I ask why can't you run the audio extractor in the host machine where
the CD unit is physically attached to? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón