From: Kumar Appaiah on
On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 11:15:30AM -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> >It works fine here (icewasel and lenny).
> >
> >browser.chrome.favicons â†' false
> >browser.chrome.site_icons â†' false
> >
> >And after restarting the browser, no more favicons.
> >

> Well, thanks for the reply, but that doesn't help in my case. Try
> the following URL and see what you get.
>
> https://www.busey.com/home/home

I think that's the SSL certificate there. It's done by Firefox /
Iceweasel, not the website.

A quick search didn't reveal details on how to hide this; maybe
somebody else can do a better job.

Kumar
--
How do I type "for i in *.dvi do xdvi $i done" in a GUI?
-- Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of interfaces

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Dennis Wicks <wix(a)mgssub.com> wrote:

> I have looked for ways to fix this problem several times in the passed few
> months and have had no success.
>
> Recently several companies have started displaying a large favicon in the
> address bar when you go to their site. In several cases it takes up over
> half of the space in the address bar and makes it extremely difficult to
> read the URL.
>
> One site even claimed that this is a "security feature" as it would enable
> the users to tell they were really on the bank's site and not some scammer
> of phisher site. Sure! Like nobody else could figure out how to do that!
>
> Anyway, can anyone tell me how to get rid of these eyesores?
> I have already set browser.chrome.favicons and browser.chrome.site_icons to
> false and browser.chrome.image_icons.max_size to 0, but no difference!

about:config
browser.identity.ssl_domain_display
is probably what you are looking for (and it is a security feature)

On Thu, 06 May 2010 11:15:30 -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:

> Camaleón wrote the following on 05/06/2010 10:58 AM:

>> It works fine here (icewasel and lenny).
>>
>> browser.chrome.favicons â†' false browser.chrome.site_icons â†' false
>>
>> And after restarting the browser, no more favicons.
>>

> Well, thanks for the reply, but that doesn't help in my case.

Sorry, but I tested and was working as expetected O:-)

> Try the following URL and see what you get.
>
> https://www.busey.com/home/home

Ah, I get it now.

You mean the "https" long bar, not the favicons. O.k. I see the same as
you, but the options you toggled off where for hiding "favicons", not the
https bar.

What firefox version are you using?

There is an addon¹ (Stylish) that allows customizing many visual aspects
of the browser, not sure if this tweak is also included.

In 3.x, you can modify the css (userChrome.css) to get the desired color.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón