From: Dennis Wicks on
Greetings;

I have looked for ways to fix this problem several times in
the passed few months and have had no success.

Recently several companies have started displaying a large
favicon in the address bar when you go to their site. In
several cases it takes up over half of the space in the
address bar and makes it extremely difficult to read the URL.

One site even claimed that this is a "security feature" as
it would enable the users to tell they were really on the
bank's site and not some scammer of phisher site. Sure! Like
nobody else could figure out how to do that!

Anyway, can anyone tell me how to get rid of these eyesores?
I have already set browser.chrome.favicons and
browser.chrome.site_icons to false and
browser.chrome.image_icons.max_size to 0, but no difference!

TIA for any help!

Dennis

On Thu, 06 May 2010 10:40:15 -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:

(...)

> Anyway, can anyone tell me how to get rid of these eyesores? I have
> already set browser.chrome.favicons and browser.chrome.site_icons to
> false and browser.chrome.image_icons.max_size to 0, but no difference!

It works fine here (icewasel and lenny).

browser.chrome.favicons → false
browser.chrome.site_icons → false

And after restarting the browser, no more favicons.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón wrote the following on 05/06/2010 10:58 AM:
> On Thu, 06 May 2010 10:40:15 -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> Anyway, can anyone tell me how to get rid of these eyesores? I have
>> already set browser.chrome.favicons and browser.chrome.site_icons to
>> false and browser.chrome.image_icons.max_size to 0, but no difference!
>
> It works fine here (icewasel and lenny).
>
> browser.chrome.favicons → false
> browser.chrome.site_icons → false
>
> And after restarting the browser, no more favicons.

Well, thanks for the reply, but that doesn't help in my
case. Try the following URL and see what you get.

https://www.busey.com/home/home

Thanks!
Dennis

On Qui, 06 Mai 2010, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> Well, thanks for the reply, but that doesn't help in my case. Try
> the following URL and see what you get.
>
> https://www.busey.com/home/home

I had never seen a favicon that wasn't the standard size. And with
Firefox 3.6.3, even this site has a standard favicon.

What it does have, though, is a special kind of security certificate
that displays the name of the company (in green background, at least
in the default theme).

--
It is up to us to produce better-quality movies.
-- Lloyd Kaufman, producer of "Stuff Stephanie in the Incinerator"

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br

On Thu, 06 May 2010 11:15:30 -0500
Dennis Wicks <wix(a)mgssub.com> wrote:

> Well, thanks for the reply, but that doesn't help in my
> case. Try the following URL and see what you get.
>
> https://www.busey.com/home/home
>
> Thanks!
> Dennis

On Chrome, it doesnt show any favicon.
On Firefox 3.5.9, it doesnt show any favicon either..