From: Charles Kroeger on
I was looking over a dmesg output and I noticed a message that said I would
save 64MB of RAM if I enabled the IOMMU option in the bios.

I'm using an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO board with 8GB of RAM so maybe freeing up
64MB of RAM isn't that big of a deal; however, I had a look in the bios setup
and saw nothing that pertained to IOMMU to enable.

The BIOS is an 8MB Flash ROM, AMI BIOS PnP etc.

Can anyone eleborate on this message in dmesg?

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:08:30 -0400, Charles Kroeger wrote:

> I was looking over a dmesg output and I noticed a message that said I
> would save 64MB of RAM if I enabled the IOMMU option in the bios.
>
> I'm using an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO board with 8GB of RAM so maybe freeing up
> 64MB of RAM isn't that big of a deal; however, I had a look in the bios
> setup and saw nothing that pertained to IOMMU to enable.
>
> The BIOS is an 8MB Flash ROM, AMI BIOS PnP etc.
>
> Can anyone eleborate on this message in dmesg?

Not sure if this has something to do with some BIOS option that allow
"memmory remapping" :-?

There is an Ubuntu forum thread that may help a bit:

***
"Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole" / "This costs you 64 MB
of RAM"
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1018854&highlight=enable+iommu+option+bios
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 01:02:50 +0100, Clive McBarton wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> Not sure if this has something to do with some BIOS option that allow
>> "memmory remapping" :-?
>
> There's no such option. Not in any BIOS I've ever seen.

That could be the problem.

>> There is an Ubuntu forum thread that may help a bit
>
> It doesn't. It's a long thread with people talking about the problem,
> suggesting a great number of "solutions" (some of them harmful) without
> solving the problem.

Didn' you try some of the tips? They only require passing some options to
the kernel at boot time and there is nothing harmful in doing that :-?

> On the other hand, nothing else I've seen so far solves the problem
> either. Most people ignore it, since it may be just an annoying message,
> the loss of a tiny fraction of RAM, and possibly your RAM becoming
> slightly slower.

I passed the link not because it provided a "magic solution" but for you
get an idea of the origin of that message and how to bypass it ;-)

> Are there any users of 64bit Debian with 4GB or more who are not
> affected?

Sure.

I am not getting that message in dmesg (running lenny amd64, 8 GiB.)
*but* my BIOS has "memory reclaiming" enabled.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón