From: Liam O'Toole on
On 2010-03-22, John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan(a)opensourcedevel.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 22:08 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

---SNIP---

>> > Just creating a new launcher seems to solve the problem. You can use the
>> > same options (command: iceweasel %u, description: Web browsing... etc.)
>> >
>> > Could you please check if it also works for you?
>> >

>> Yes, creating a new, minimal, .desktop file solves the problem. Here is
>> the one I used:
>>
>> [Desktop Entry]
>> Encoding=UTF-8
>> Version=1.0
>> Type=Application
>> Terminal=false
>> Name[en_GB]=iceweasl
>> Exec=/usr/bin/iceweasel
>> Icon[en_GB]=iceweasel
>> Name=iceweasl
>> Icon=iceweasel
>>
>> The browser window popped up immmediately, without the busy cursor.
>>
>> I would be interested to learn which part of the official .desktop file
>> is responsible for the behaviour you first observed.
><snip>
> We are seeing the same behavior and would very much like to solve this
> problem. I tracked down the iceweasel.desktop file
> to /usr/share/applications. I first commented out the non-language
> related items that did not appear in your .desktop file above. That did
> not fix it.
>
> I then removed all the language related entries except the default in
> case it was a bad language entry. That did not fix it.
>
> I then replaced the file with the one you give above. That did not fix
> it.
>
> Then I wondered if it was a location issue. So I placed your file in
> ~/Desktop so it showed up as a desktop icon rather than a menu icon.
> Alas that did not fix it either. At a loss for what to try next - John

Try explicitly setting StartupNotify=false in the .desktop file.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 10:10 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2010-03-22, John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan(a)opensourcedevel.com> wrote:

> ---SNIP---

> >> Yes, creating a new, minimal, .desktop file solves the problem. Here is
> >> the one I used:
> >>
> >> [Desktop Entry]
> >> Encoding=UTF-8
> >> Version=1.0
> >> Type=Application
> >> Terminal=false
> >> Name[en_GB]=iceweasl
> >> Exec=/usr/bin/iceweasel
> >> Icon[en_GB]=iceweasel
> >> Name=iceweasl
> >> Icon=iceweasel
> >>
> >> <snip>> Alas that did not fix it either. At a loss for what to try next - John
> >

> Try explicitly setting StartupNotify=false in the .desktop file.
<snip>
That did the trick! What does that do? Thanks - John

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 06:15:49 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 10:10 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

>> Try explicitly setting StartupNotify=false in the .desktop file.
> <snip>
> That did the trick! What does that do? Thanks - John

It's documented here:

***
Startup notification
http://library.gnome.org/devel/integration-guide/stable/startup-notification.html.en
***

I think I will forward this thread to the backport list so someone there
could explain or fix this in any upcoming release.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:21:51 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

> I think I will forward this thread to the backport list so someone there
> could explain or fix this in any upcoming release.

I've got mail :-)

A kind user from the backports mailing list has replied to my SOS¹.

Basically, the interesting part is that he has discovered that testing
package for Icewasel suffers from the same thing (keeps busy cursor) so
it's not something related to the backport package itself, but kinda
/inherited/ issue :-).

So let's hope they can get it fixed soon in "testing" and then backported
again O:-).

¹ http://lists.backports.org/lurker-bpo/message/20100322.105428.19b69a66.en.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 10:21 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 06:15:49 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 10:10 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
> >> Try explicitly setting StartupNotify=false in the .desktop file.
> > <snip>
> > That did the trick! What does that do? Thanks - John
>
> It's documented here:
>
> ***
> Startup notification
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/integration-guide/stable/startup-notification.html.en
> ***
>
> I think I will forward this thread to the backport list so someone there
> could explain or fix this in any upcoming release.
<snip>
Hmm . . . having read this, I wonder if we have only masked the
underlying problem. Something is causing Iceweasel to think it has not
fully initialized and we've simply turned off the mechanism that allows
it to tell us so. Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks - John