From: Merciadri Luca on
Tom Furie wrote:
> And, just for the record, what was the answer?

==
This is *normal* UNIX file handling. Yes, ps2pdf does indeed recreate
the PDF from scratch and unlinks the old PDF's inode(s). Acroread does
not know that (thus no messages), and no it does not lock the file,
just hangs onto the old inode (maybe), which becomes effectively
invalid once ps2pdf recreates the PDF file.
==

==
Acrobat Reader on Linux systems does not lock the file. But the file is
not reloaded automatically. You can reload the file from File -> Reload
(Alt+f d).
Alternatively you could try something automated like
<http://forums.adobe.com/thread/395299
<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://forums.adobe.com/thread/395299&usg=AFQjCNEKcDABBKaXl33v3QRJ2p13LNSLpQ>>.

==

==
in fact, on linux, acroread now has the ability to reread the file. type
Ctrl-R
and the changed file will be reread.
on windows, acroread doesn't have this ability. so if the OP is on windows,
he might want to switch to another pdf reader.
==

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

So close, yet so far.

From: Andrei Popescu on
On Thu,13.May.10, 23:40:51, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Note that, under Windows, I remember that acrord32.exe always blocked
> the file for writing, even if it was only being read by acrord32.exe.
> Okay, it's Windows. Bad memories.

I thought that was a limitation of the OS (Windows).

Regards,
Andrei
Andrei Popescu wrote:
> I thought that was a limitation of the OS (Windows).

I don't know. Maybe.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing.

From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby on
> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> :
>Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> I thought that was a limitation of the OS (Windows).
>>
>I don't know. Maybe.

It *_IS*_

+261 3456 000 19

Op 13-05-10 23:40, Merciadri Luca schreef:
> Sven Joachim wrote:
> Thanks for this answer. There are *many* reasons not to use pdfLaTeX.
> They do not enter in the scope of this mailing list, but I am pretty
> sure you will find them directly on the Internet. For example, pdfLaTeX
> encourages one to use directly JPG, etc., for the inclusion in the
> document, which is pretty bad. There are also many incompatibilities
> with different packages.
Or png or pdf which basically is eps or even real eps via the epstopdf
package.
Sorry, pdflatex offers more choice. That's not a bad thing.

Sjoerd