From: Dotan Cohen on
This seems to imply that JFS needs to be defragged:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JFS_Filesystem#Defragmenting_JFS
"JFS, like all file systems, will degrade in performance over time due
to file fragmentation. While there is in-place defragmentation code in
the JFS utilities, this is code held over from the OS/2 port and has
yet to be implemented."

There are links to these two sources:
http://docs.hp.com/en/5576/JFS_Tuning.pdf
http://www.mail-archive.com/jfs-discussion(a)lists.sourceforge.net/msg00573.html

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 22:06:01 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> This seems to imply that JFS needs to be defragged:
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JFS_Filesystem#Defragmenting_JFS
> "JFS, like all file systems, will degrade in performance over time due
> to file fragmentation. While there is in-place defragmentation code in
> the JFS utilities, this is code held over from the OS/2 port and has yet
> to be implemented."

In fact, it seems there are dedicated tools for defragging many of the
most popular filesystems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defrag#Approach_and_defragmenters_by_file_system_type

What I have not found is something for ReiserFS volumes :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 7 June 2010 17:50, Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact, it seems there are dedicated tools for defragging many of the
> most popular filesystems:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defrag#Approach_and_defragmenters_by_file_system_type
>
> What I have not found is something for ReiserFS volumes :-?

That may be because mentioning the words "fragging" and "Reiser"
together is now taboo.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il