From: Jari Fredriksson on

I installed a Debian Lenny (amd64), and sun-jdk in addition to the
default gcj based default Java.

When I access Java content with Firefox (or is IceWeasel) the browsed
prompts me to install JDK... Clicking the prompt shows Sun's website
with download button.

I installed that, but nothing changes.

Using update-java-alternatives talks about missing firefox.plugin.so or
something similar, no matter which of the alternatives I pick.

Where can those plugin shared libraries can be get? Downloading JRE from
Sun does not install them.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

You will step on the night soil of many countries.

From: Camaleón on
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:00:14 +0200, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> I installed a Debian Lenny (amd64), and sun-jdk in addition to the
> default gcj based default Java.
>
> When I access Java content with Firefox (or is IceWeasel) the browsed
> prompts me to install JDK... Clicking the prompt shows Sun's website
> with download button.
>
> I installed that, but nothing changes.
>
> Using update-java-alternatives talks about missing firefox.plugin.so or
> something similar, no matter which of the alternatives I pick.
>
> Where can those plugin shared libraries can be get? Downloading JRE from
> Sun does not install them.

I've got installed the following packages:

sm01(a)stt008:~$ dpkg -l | grep sun
ii sun-java6-bin 6-12-1 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (ar
ii sun-java6-jre 6-12-1 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (ar
ii sun-java6-plugin 6-12-1 The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6

So maybe you are missing the "sun-java6-plugin" package.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

> So maybe you are missing the "sun-java6-plugin" package.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Thanks, works now! That was it.

On 11.1.2010 11:12, Camale�n wrote:

> So maybe you are missing the "sun-java6-plugin" package.

Thanks, Java works now in the browser!

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

Your life would be very empty if you had nothing to regret.

From: Alex Samad on
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:00:14AM +0200, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> I installed a Debian Lenny (amd64), and sun-jdk in addition to the
> default gcj based default Java.
>
> When I access Java content with Firefox (or is IceWeasel) the browsed
> prompts me to install JDK... Clicking the prompt shows Sun's website
> with download button.

for some reason we (the user of debian) are being pushed to use icedtea
and its java plugin, I don't have a problem with this except for the
fact that the plugin isn't a drop in replacement for the sun plugin, but
its turning into a grin and bear it.

as has been answered in other emails, you need the sun*plugin package

and you need to set the java alternative to sun

--
"We do know that Saddam Hussein had the intent and the capabilities to cause great harm. We know he was a great danger... What we don't know yet is what we thought and what the Iraqi Survey Group has found, and we want to look at that."

- George W. Bush
02/02/2004
Washington, DC
 |  Next  |  Last