From: Camaleón on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 21:42:41 +0800, GNUbie wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just choose your desired mysql admin tool (there are many of them, GUI,
>> command line, web-based... I used to use "phpmyadmin" for this task),
>> then create the users and grant permission to them for managing
>> databases and tables.
>
> You mean, it's possible that a user can create MySQL users, databases,
> tables, etc. anytime they wanted to?

Yep, in fact that is the default virtual hosting setup you can find out
there.

> Likewise, they can change the MySQL
> configuration, change DB engine, restart the service, and many others
> without affecting the other users?

No. Administrative operations (MySQL upgrades, restart or maintenance
tasks) can be only achieved by the admin of the machine.

MySQL users != MySQL admin user != root

You must decide what _kind of users_ you want to setup and what _kind of
privileges_ the users should have.

:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:42 PM, GNUbie <gnubie(a)gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> You mean, it's possible that a user can create MySQL users, databases,
> tables, etc. anytime they wanted to? Likewise, they can change the
> MySQL configuration, change DB engine, restart the service, and many
> others without affecting the other users?

Camaleón's explanation is pretty clear.
I just want to say, how can operations like restarting the service not
affect other users. if you insist on this kind of privileges for each
user, you have to set up multiple mysql servers.

Tao
--
http://huangtao.me/
http://www.google.com/profiles/UniIsland