From: Gerald C.Catling on
Many thanks to all that responded to try to solve this LVM problem.
I could not recover any data from the crashed system. I could not find any
method of mounting drive 2 or 3 as individual drives and the system would not
create a volume group without the now non-existant first drive.
Once again, many thanks.
I will have to try RAID 1.
Gerald

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:31:41AM +1000, Gerald C.Catling wrote:
> Many thanks to all that responded to try to solve this LVM problem.
> I could not recover any data from the crashed system. I could not find any
> method of mounting drive 2 or 3 as individual drives and the system would not
> create a volume group without the now non-existant first drive.
> Once again, many thanks.

sorry to hear about the data loss.

> I will have to try RAID 1.

remember that RAID is no substitute for backups. And, there really is
nothing wrong with lvm per se, you just have to be careful of having
volumes spanning harddrives. Without redundancy, you can lose the
volume.

best of luck

From: Mark Allums on
On 6/15/2010 9:30 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:31:41AM +1000, Gerald C.Catling wrote:
>> I will have to try RAID 1.
>
> remember that RAID is no substitute for backups.

A cardinal rule!

And, there really is
> nothing wrong with lvm per se, you just have to be careful of having
> volumes spanning harddrives. Without redundancy, you can lose the
> volume.

I believe (any many would agree, I think) that LVM is the bees' knees,
but it should be on top of some sort of RAID. This has already been
said, but I think it bears repeating.

A RAID 1 for redundancy makes me sleep better at night.

It's not perfect, nor foolproof, but it is easy and cheap. (Hard disks
are commodities; it is as easy to buy two as it is to buy one.)

On 06/15/2010 10:55 PM, Mark Allums wrote:

> (Hard disks are commodities; it is as easy to buy two as it is to buy one.)

Unless you are on a tight pension...

--
Seek truth from facts.

On Wednesday, June 16, 2010 02:22:19 pm Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/15/2010 10:55 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
> > (Hard disks are commodities; it is as easy to buy two as it is to buy
> > one.)
>
> Unless you are on a tight pension...
Very definately!!!
Gerald