From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-04-11 08:11, Clive McBarton wrote:

> Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
>> mount the new device (mount -odev /dev/newdevice), and do a
>> rsync -ax / /media/newdevice.
>
> What exactly is the advantage of this approach over "cp -a" or "mv"?
>
> I would have suggested mv. It has the useful property that you can
> easily spot aborted transfers by the fact that the original device is
> not empty afterwards.

One note is that I've had issues where symlinks remain pointing to
the old drive. (That was a long time ago, though, and maybe I did
something wrong.)

tar might also work, given the appropriate flags.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On 2010-04-11 08:29, Clive McBarton wrote:

>>> What exactly is the advantage of this approach over "cp -a" or "mv"?
>>>
>> Over mv? That you keep the original files.
>
> Of course. But in this case the OP said "migrate".

Ooooo. Remind me never to have you work on my computer.

Never destroy the original until you know the copy works!

>> Over cp? That you can resume from where you left off in case the
>> transfer is stopped for any reason.
>
> Useful point. With cp you'd have to start over.
>
> What are the disadvantages of rsync? E.g., doesn't it compress and
> decompress everything,

Only if you want it to.

> hence hogging the CPU

You won't be doing anything else at the time...

> and possibly slowing transfers?

Hah. Speeding up transfers is more likely, since the wire is always
the bottleneck, and compression means it will be carrying "more bits
per bit".

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Others suggested using filesystem-level tools, which is really fine.
Alternatively, you can shrink the filesystem and move the entire block at once.

Each method probably has its pros and cons.

-thib

Ron Johnson schreef:
> On 2010-04-11 08:11, Clive McBarton wrote:
>>
>> Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
>>> mount the new device (mount -odev /dev/newdevice), and do a
>>> rsync -ax / /media/newdevice.
>>
>> What exactly is the advantage of this approach over "cp -a" or "mv"?
>>
>> I would have suggested mv. It has the useful property that you can
>> easily spot aborted transfers by the fact that the original device is
>> not empty afterwards.
>
> One note is that I've had issues where symlinks remain pointing to the
> old drive. (That was a long time ago, though, and maybe I did something
> wrong.)
I thought symlinks keep point via a file location memo, like "look at
/usr/share/the/file/you/want", which is the old location just after
copying, but the new location when you boot from your new device and
that becomes root.

Sjoerd

From: Clive McBarton on

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: What prevents mounting of USB devices?
Next: Want it? Give