From: vr on
What's the best mechanism to migrate a working bootable system from one
drive to a smaller capacity drive?

e.g. take this 226G filesystem

df -h
/dev/sdb1 226G 4.1G 210G 2% /
tmpfs 3.0G 0 3.0G 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 3.0G 244K 3.0G 1% /dev
tmpfs 3.0G 0 3.0G 0% /dev/shm

and transfer it onto say a 32G drive?

vr schreef:
> What's the best mechanism to migrate a working bootable system from one
> drive to a smaller capacity drive?
>
> e.g. take this 226G filesystem
>
> df -h
> /dev/sdb1 226G 4.1G 210G 2% /
> tmpfs 3.0G 0 3.0G 0% /lib/init/rw
> udev 3.0G 244K 3.0G 1% /dev
> tmpfs 3.0G 0 3.0G 0% /dev/shm
>
> and transfer it onto say a 32G drive?
mount the new device (mount -odev /dev/newdevice), and do a
rsync -ax / /media/newdevice.
Then do a chroot /media/newdevice, grub-install /dev/newdevice

Sjoerd

From: Clive McBarton on

On 04/11/2010 10:11 AM, Clive McBarton wrote:

> Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
>
>> mount the new device (mount -odev /dev/newdevice), and do a
>> rsync -ax / /media/newdevice.
>>
> What exactly is the advantage of this approach over "cp -a" or "mv"?

Over mv? That you keep the original files.

Over cp? That you can resume from where you left off in case the
transfer is stopped for any reason.

-- Rich Kulawiec

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br