From: Alexander Batischev on
I'm using mutt for about a month already. Almost all problems already solved, I
successfully moved to IMAP. It's time to get GPG signing to work.

As you probably noticed, all my messages are signed. But when I open any--even
my own!--message, mutt tells me that PGP signature can NOT be verified. Which
is more interesting, I did not have that problem before I imported my secure
key (it was stored on desktop; now I'm mostly use netbook). I mean, I had PGP
set but I didn't have secure key so I did not sign my messages, just verify
other's.

I did some little research on the web. It seems that problem is pretty popular,
and most common answer is to set pgp_good_sign in muttrc. As far as I copied my
GPG config from Mutt GnuPG HowTo[1], I already had that option set. I also
tried to set it to the following:

set pgp_good_sign="`gettext -d gnupg -s 'Good signature from "' | tr -d '"'`"

which, as I could understand, is just a trick to add sender's name to GPG's
verification message, but it didn't solve my problem. I also tried to not set
this option, with no luck. Does anyone have any advice?

My .muttrc attached.

1. http://codesorcery.net/old/mutt/mutt-gnupg-howto

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81
From: Alexander Batischev on
Some thoughts which just came to my head: can it be because of lack of trusted
keys? I did not set anyone's key as trusted, so I don't have web of trust. This
still don't explain (in my opinion, at least) why my own signature can't be
verified.

From: Camaleón on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:03:22 +0300, Alexander Batischev wrote:

> Some thoughts which just came to my head: can it be because of lack of
> trusted keys? I did not set anyone's key as trusted, so I don't have web
> of trust. This still don't explain (in my opinion, at least) why my own
> signature can't be verified.

Exactly (a very good explanation about that, here):

http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttGuide/UseGPG

In order to verify a signed message, either you have to previosuly import
the key into your keyring or you need to setup Mutt to retrieve the key
from public servers.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 06:21:14PM +0000, Camale??n wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:03:22 +0300, Alexander Batischev wrote:
>
> > Some thoughts which just came to my head: can it be because of lack of
> > trusted keys? I did not set anyone's key as trusted, so I don't have web
> > of trust. This still don't explain (in my opinion, at least) why my own
> > signature can't be verified.
>
> Exactly (a very good explanation about that, here):
>
> http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttGuide/UseGPG

Yeah, I've read it before, but still can't understand...

> In order to verify a signed message, either you have to previosuly import
> the key into your keyring or you need to setup Mutt to retrieve the key
> from public servers.

I have all the keys retrieved (previously, I run gpg --recv-keys keyID every
time I face with new key; now I just set "keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve"
in ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf, so all new keys are retrieved automatically). And it
still doesn't explain why my own signature can't be verified, too.

When I open my own message, I have this on the top, right between headers and body:

[-- PGP output follows (current time: Fri Jun 11 21:26:24 2010) --]
gpg: Signature made Fri Jun 11 20:48:09 2010 EEST using DSA key ID 69093C81
gpg: Good signature from "Alexander Batischev <eual.jp(a)gmail.com>"
gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81
[-- End of PGP output --]

I'm little worried about "not certified with a trusted signature" - it's my own
signature, it should be trusted, innit?

From: Camaleón on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:37:57 +0300, Alexander Batischev wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 06:21:14PM +0000, Camale??n wrote:

>> In order to verify a signed message, either you have to previosuly
>> import the key into your keyring or you need to setup Mutt to retrieve
>> the key from public servers.
>
> I have all the keys retrieved (previously, I run gpg --recv-keys keyID
> every time I face with new key; now I just set "keyserver-options
> auto-key-retrieve" in ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf, so all new keys are retrieved
> automatically). And it still doesn't explain why my own signature can't
> be verified, too.

Then maybe is that you have to "explicitely" import the key and trust
that key. Did you already do that? :-?

> When I open my own message, I have this on the top, right between
> headers and body:
>
> [-- PGP output follows (current time: Fri Jun 11 21:26:24 2010) --] gpg:
> Signature made Fri Jun 11 20:48:09 2010 EEST using DSA key ID 69093C81
> gpg: Good signature from "Alexander Batischev <eual.jp(a)gmail.com>" gpg:
> WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature! gpg:
> There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
> Primary key fingerprint: F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909
> 3C81 [-- End of PGP output --]
>
> I'm little worried about "not certified with a trusted signature" - it's
> my own signature, it should be trusted, innit?

Yes, I also see that warning in Mutt for signed e-mails coming for users
that I have not added nor marked as "trusted" into my keyring.

Also, test it with another e-mail client (thunderbird, kmail,
evolution...) so you can compare the results.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón