From: nospam on
In article <IKPXn.5457$OU6.4862(a)newsfe20.iad>, Todd Allcock
<elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:

> The Aria is, IIRC- AT&T's Android selection is pretty thin, (and rather
> crippled,) compared to other carriers'. Insert your own Apple-appeasing
> conspiracy theory there.

i don't doubt that at&t is crippling their android offerings while
having an exclusive on the iphone.

> > and you could replace at&t with verizon or
> > t-mobile.
>
> In concept only- some of the points were AT&T-specific, like the tiered
> data and tethering plans.

verizon has hinted at tiered plans and charges for tethering. sprint
charges more for tethering than at&t does, and also requires paying $10
for 4g even if you don't live in an area with 4g. where's the lawsuit
on that one? :)
From: Todd Allcock on
At 03 Jul 2010 16:41:50 -0700 nospam wrote:
> In article <IKPXn.5457$OU6.4862(a)newsfe20.iad>, Todd Allcock
> <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:
>
> > The Aria is, IIRC- AT&T's Android selection is pretty thin, (and
rather
> > crippled,) compared to other carriers'. Insert your own Apple-
appeasing
> > conspiracy theory there.
>
> i don't doubt that at&t is crippling their android offerings while
> having an exclusive on the iphone.

According to a friend of mine with one, AT&T limits Android app
installation to Market apps only. This arguably could be to prevent
awkward comparisons to the iPhone... ;)

> > > and you could replace at&t with verizon or
> > > t-mobile.
> >
> > In concept only- some of the points were AT&T-specific, like the
tiered
> > data and tethering plans.
>
> verizon has hinted at tiered plans and charges for tethering.

Verizon has hinted at tiered plans for their upcoming LTE service, not
their current EVDO service.

> sprint
> charges more for tethering than at&t does,

Yes, on top of a lower starting point. $70 gets you unlimited data,
text, and voice (except to landlines.)

> and also requires paying $10
> for 4g even if you don't live in an area with 4g. where's the lawsuit
> on that one? :)

That's a special data plan for one 4G-capable phone, the HTC Evo. Not
that different than paying AT&T $30 for iPhone 3G data vs. $20 for the
original iPhone data plan. It's more of a "punishment" for device
selection, than a fee for extra speed! ;)

From: nospam on
In article <dwUXn.6556$Hw.4395(a)newsfe10.iad>, Todd Allcock
<elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:

> According to a friend of mine with one, AT&T limits Android app
> installation to Market apps only. This arguably could be to prevent
> awkward comparisons to the iPhone... ;)

could be worse. archos has their *own* marketplace and blocks the main
one.
From: Larry on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in news:030720102159465361%
nospam(a)nospam.invalid:

>> According to a friend of mine with one, AT&T limits Android app
>> installation to Market apps only. This arguably could be to prevent
>> awkward comparisons to the iPhone... ;)
>
> could be worse. archos has their *own* marketplace and blocks the main
> one.

I think we'll soon find every device will have its own, proprietary, locked
up, app store like Apple's. This will increase revenues and profits if
they can get the sheeple to swallow it. Open source may become a dead duck
if the sheeple don't rebel, as they have done many times in the past.

The new sheeple are, from the dumbed-down educational systems, much more
pliable and compliant than the old farts who demanded to control the
devices they bought. They'll believe anything, now....9/11, Global
Warming, rising sealevels you can't measure, Al Quaeda, Zionism,
Creationism, tooth fairies, almost anything. If you bang the drum loud
enough and get enough sheeple banging their drums long enough, it's easy to
turn total bullshit into "truth" that can be exploited against them. Just
look at religious fundamentalism, as a great example.

Proprietary app stores on proprietary cloud servers.....RIM has been
playing this game with Blackberries for years. It's nothing new....

--
Global Warming and Creationism are to science what storks are to
obstetrics...

Larry

From: John Navas on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 22:31:50 -0600, in
<dwUXn.6556$Hw.4395(a)newsfe10.iad>, Todd Allcock
<elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:

>At 03 Jul 2010 16:41:50 -0700 nospam wrote:

>> i don't doubt that at&t is crippling their android offerings while
>> having an exclusive on the iphone.
>
>According to a friend of mine with one, AT&T limits Android app
>installation to Market apps only. This arguably could be to prevent
>awkward comparisons to the iPhone... ;)

Android normally won't install a non-Market app unless a setting is
changed. Is your friend sure that setting has been disabled? Or does
your friend not know about the setting?

--
Best regards,
John

If the iPhone and iPad are really so impressive,
then why do iFans keep making excuses for them?
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Let the games begin!
Next: Wireless (Internet) Wiki (FAQ)