From: John Navas on
Symbian needs to cut to the chase and sort out its user interface, the
organisation has been warned.

The call comes from Gartner "distinguished" analyst Nick Jones who
points out that while Symbian's still colossal market share is vanishing
at an ever greater rate, the organisation behind the operating system
still doesn't appear to have figured out why.

It's the UI, stupid, to coin a phrase.

That's Jones' argument, at any rate. Apple and Android deliver much
better user experiences, and while Symbian 3 is a step in the right
direction, phones equipped with Symbian 4 won't be out until well into
2011.

Apple is making a virtue out of touchscreen ease of use. Android is
trying to do the same, and if it's slightly less good at this kind of
thing than Apple is, at least it has many more manufacturers lined up to
not only promote Android-branded handsets but also add alternative GUIs
to it.

The Symbian Foundation, on the other hand, appears more obsessed with
what's going on under the hood, says Jones.

He's right. ...

Jones reckons that this inability to move beyond the methodology of the
past will be Symbian's undoing, and likens the Symbian Foundation's
tinkering to "re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic".

And if Apple doesn't sink it, Android certainly will.

MORE: <http://www.reghardware.com/2010/07/13/symbian_vs_android/>
From: Larry on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in

> Symbian needs to cut to the chase and sort out its user interface, the
> organisation has been warned.

Nokia N8 will be the LAST N-series phone to use Symbian on Nokia's high-end
smartphones. By the next generation, the new MeeGo OS:
http://meego.com/
whos preliminary handset version of Meego Linux for mobile devices has come
out today. Nokia says all subsequent smartphones it produces will be using
Meego, the marriage between Maemo Linux off the internet tablets and Moblin
from Intel who is also a partner in this new OS.

Obviously Nokia, worlds largest and most powerful cellphone manufacturer
and Intel, worlds largest CPU maker are no strangers to marrying hardware
and software in amazing ways. Check out the Meego website. I'm playing
with dual booting to the netbook Meego on a Samsung NC10. Very cool on
small screens.

Meego is open source and FREE, of course.....supported by the Linux
Foundation.

--
iPhone 4 is to cellular technology what the Titanic is to cruise ships.

Larry

From: Larry on
Larry <noone(a)home.com> wrote in news:Xns9DB49B9B8819noonehomecom@
74.209.131.13:

> Meego is open source and FREE, of course.....supported by the Linux
> Foundation.

Crazy Meego. I see there's a new netbook update to the OS, itself, and a
bunch of other stuff like Flash, Chrome, etc.....It even updates its OS
from its OS!

From: Larry on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in

> Symbian needs to cut to the chase and sort out its user interface, the
> organisation has been warned.

Oh, and I forgot. Symbian will be used on all Nokia and many other regular
phones, not smartphones, in the future, where it shines with a huge lead in
the market share worldwide......still.