From: Nuno Magalhães on
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 04:43, Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> Ron Johnson put forth on 4/4/2010 9:08 PM:

> Your analogy, regardless of how cute, sarcastic, and applicable you believe
> it to be doesn't fit.  If I run lshw, it will lock the system every time,
> not only after adding salt to the machine for 40 years. ;)

Have you considered that it might be your computer that actually
throws the match into the barrel in the first place? Could it be that
a 3rd party library or any other obscure inconsistency (impossible to
happen on your system, of course!) could cause lshw to lock your
system? Maybe it's a bug in some app that locks your system when lshw
probes it...

Have you checked logs to try and debug it?

--
() ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto
/\ ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 6:38 AM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2010-04-05 00:19 +0200, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
>> With some Google help I figured out how to fix the missing
>> /var/lib/dpkg/available problem and got lshw removed.  Hopefully there's no
>> remaining hidden damage on my server.
>
> The lesson from this problem is that it is a bad idea to put /var on
> ext2, and that a journaling filesystem should be used instead.  I had
> learned that the hard way, too.
>
>> I don't think I'll ever be messing
>> with lshw again.  It could be that it expects something my old server
>> doesn't have, and locks the machine when attempting to probe said
>> non-existent device.  Regardless, a production level (stable) information
>> gathering tool should never hard lock a machine, no matter what, nor cause
>> any kind of damage.  I could understand installing a beta device driver
>> doing this, but an information gathering tool causing a lockup?
>
> You are shooting the messenger.  lshw is a userspace program, not a
> device driver.  If running it locks up your system, this is almost
> surely a bug in the kernel.
I think that is better reporting a bug, so people could know about
lshw could hang your system and developpers could fix it (or point to
you where is the problem) that discuss this here.

Thanks