From: J.H.Kim on
Hi, everyone

I have a 2 PCs in my office and they are not connected to internet.
But I wish to synchronize the 2PC.
One is for time server and one is for time client.
Is it possible to use NTP for the purpose?
How I can config NTP server with local time?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
J.Hwan Kim

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:59:36AM +0900, J.H.Kim wrote:
> Hi, everyone
>
> I have a 2 PCs in my office and they are not connected to internet.
> But I wish to synchronize the 2PC.
> One is for time server and one is for time client.
> Is it possible to use NTP for the purpose?
> How I can config NTP server with local time?

Near the end of /etc/ntp.conf:

# If you want to provide time to your local subnet, change the next
# line.
# (Again, the address is an example only.)
#broadcast 192.168.123.255

I believe this works even if your time server is not synchronizing
itself with another server.

-Rob

Rob Owens put forth on 12/15/2009 7:35 PM:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:59:36AM +0900, J.H.Kim wrote:
>> Hi, everyone
>>
>> I have a 2 PCs in my office and they are not connected to internet.
>> But I wish to synchronize the 2PC.
>> One is for time server and one is for time client.
>> Is it possible to use NTP for the purpose?
>> How I can config NTP server with local time?
>>
> Near the end of /etc/ntp.conf:
>
> # If you want to provide time to your local subnet, change the next
> # line.
> # (Again, the address is an example only.)
> #broadcast 192.168.123.255
>
> I believe this works even if your time server is not synchronizing
> itself with another server.

You forgot to tell him how to configure the ntp client machine. IIRC,
the default behavior is _not_ to listen for a broadcast server. The
Lenny install default is to query the *.pool.ntp.org servers.

--
Stan

Configure them both to use their local clock as reference.

On the "server" fudge the local clock to stratum 10.
On the "client" fudge the local clock to stratum 13.

Have each reference the other as a "peer" rather than "server".

If this is unclear, let me know and I'll try to be more explicit.

Rick

2009/12/16 J.H.Kim <frog1120(a)gmail.com>:
> Hi, everyone
>
> I have a 2 PCs in my office and they are not connected to internet.
> But I wish to synchronize the 2PC.
> One is for time server and one is for time client.
> Is it possible to use NTP for the purpose?
> How I can config NTP server with local time?

IIUC if you install openntpd and set up one machine as a server you
can configure the other to act as a client. The client machine's time
will drift toward the servers time and then remain synchronised.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.