From: Camaleón on
On Sat, 01 May 2010 15:52:46 +0200, Andrea Giuliano wrote:

> Alsamixer doesn'i show muted input. Not does gnome-volume-settings. I
> also checked out gnome-sound-properties, and it gives no errors at all,
> as if it thinks everything is working fine.
>
> Here is the output from amixer:

Only "master", "PCM" and "capture"?

No "mic" and no additional "aux" or "surround" outputs? :-?

> and here is /proc/asound/cards
>
> 0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
> HDA NVidia at 0xf9ef8000 irq 22
>
> I'm going to try a LiveCD or such, but I'm not very optimistic.

Modern motherboards use to include 5.1 or 7.1 audio channel chipset, it's
a bit weird your amixer output only shows 3 devices...

This may sound silly, but have you tried to plug the speakers jack in all
the outlets available?

What does "aplay -l" say?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 19:38, Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 01 May 2010 15:52:46 +0200, Andrea Giuliano wrote:
>
>> Alsamixer doesn'i show muted input. Not does gnome-volume-settings. I
>> also checked out gnome-sound-properties, and it gives no errors at all,
>> as if it thinks everything is working fine.
>>
>> Here is the output from amixer:
>
> Only "master", "PCM" and "capture"?
>
> No "mic" and no additional "aux" or "surround" outputs? :-?
>
>> and here is /proc/asound/cards
>>
>>  0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
>>                       HDA NVidia at 0xf9ef8000 irq 22
>>
>> I'm going to try a LiveCD or such, but I'm not very optimistic.
>
> Modern motherboards use to include 5.1 or 7.1 audio channel chipset, it's
> a bit weird your amixer output only shows 3 devices...
>
> This may sound silly, but have you tried to plug the speakers jack in all
> the outlets available?
>
> What does "aplay -l" say?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

What is the output of "amixer info"
Are you using pulse audio?

Here aplay -l:

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Here is amixer info, too:

Card default 'NVidia'/'HDA NVidia at 0xf9ef8000 irq 22'
Mixer name : 'VIA ID 397'
Components : 'HDA:11060397'
Controls : 4
Simple ctrls : 3

Actually, you are right, it's rather strange I see just a few controls,
they should be many more (my card is a 7.1 points one).

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 20:55, Andrea Giuliano <sarkiaponius(a)alice.it> wrote:
> Here aplay -l:
>
> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
>  Subdevices: 1/1
>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> Here is amixer info, too:
>
> Card default 'NVidia'/'HDA NVidia at 0xf9ef8000 irq 22'
>  Mixer name    : 'VIA ID 397'
>  Components    : 'HDA:11060397'
>  Controls      : 4
>  Simple ctrls  : 3
>
> Actually, you are right, it's rather strange I see just a few controls,
> they should be many more (my card is a 7.1 points one).
>
> On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 14:08 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 May 2010 15:52:46 +0200, Andrea Giuliano wrote:
>>
>> > Alsamixer doesn'i show muted input. Not does gnome-volume-settings. I
>> > also checked out gnome-sound-properties, and it gives no errors at all,
>> > as if it thinks everything is working fine.
>> >
>> > Here is the output from amixer:
>>
>> Only "master", "PCM" and "capture"?
>>
>> No "mic" and no additional "aux" or "surround" outputs? :-?
>>
>> > and here is /proc/asound/cards
>> >
>> >  0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
>> >                       HDA NVidia at 0xf9ef8000 irq 22
>> >
>> > I'm going to try a LiveCD or such, but I'm not very optimistic.
>>
>> Modern motherboards use to include 5.1 or 7.1 audio channel chipset, it's
>> a bit weird your amixer output only shows 3 devices...
>>
>> This may sound silly, but have you tried to plug the speakers jack in all
>> the outlets available?
>>
>> What does "aplay -l" say?
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> --
>> Camaleón

What is the output of /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf

On Sat, 01 May 2010 17:25:35 +0200, Andrea Giuliano wrote:

> Here aplay -l:
>
> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> Here is amixer info, too:
>
> Card default 'NVidia'/'HDA NVidia at 0xf9ef8000 irq 22'
> Mixer name : 'VIA ID 397'
> Components : 'HDA:11060397'
> Controls : 4
> Simple ctrls : 3
>
> Actually, you are right, it's rather strange I see just a few controls,
> they should be many more (my card is a 7.1 points one).

So the codec is "VIA ID 397". Maybe quite new for your alsa version.

Mmmm... A quick Google search¹ seems to indicate the codec is supported
since ALSA 1.0.19 and as you are running Lenny I'm afraid you'll have
1.0.17 :-/

Just to be sure, try a LiveCD of any distribution that includes a newer
ALSA version and see if that works.

¹ http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/soundchip-via-id-397-zickt-rum/

Greetings,

--