From: Andrea Giuliano on
Hi,

I'm running Lenny on a brand new AMD64, and just one thing is not
working at all: the sound card.

I mean, it seems to be perfectly detected, I get no errors at all from
any sound application, but I can't get sound from any jack I connect my
speakers (or headphones) to.

Here are lspci for the card:

00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio
(rev a2)
Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 0397
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0 (500ns min, 1250ns max)
Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 22
Region 0: Memory at f9ef8000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

I already ran alsaconf, which finds the card and configures it saying
"enjoy" too!

Could it be that all external jacks are disconnected at all due to some
mistakes during the assembly of the whole box? Clearly front connector
must be connected manually, but I really don't think that the rear ones
must be enabled with jumpers or such.

Any hint would be very much appreciated.

Best regards.

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 16:43, Andrea Giuliano <sarkiaponius(a)alice.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Lenny on a brand new AMD64, and just one thing is not
> working at all: the sound card.
>
> I mean, it seems to be perfectly detected, I get no errors at all from
> any sound application, but I can't get sound from any jack I connect my
> speakers (or headphones) to.
>
> Here are lspci for the card:
>
> 00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio
> (rev a2)
>        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 0397
>        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
>        Latency: 0 (500ns min, 1250ns max)
>        Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 22
>        Region 0: Memory at f9ef8000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
> [size=16K]
>        Capabilities: <access denied>
>        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
>
> I already ran alsaconf, which finds the card and configures it saying
> "enjoy" too!
>
> Could it be that all external jacks are disconnected at all due to some
> mistakes during the assembly of the whole box? Clearly front connector
> must be connected manually, but I really don't think that the rear ones
> must be enabled with jumpers or such.
>
> Any hint would be very much appreciated.
>
> Best regards.

One of my machines has got the same card, it is working perfectly.
The driver is "snd_hda_intel", dont get confused by intel here.
make sure that the module is loaded correctly.

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xdfef4000 irq 22

Also open the mixer using alsamixer/kmix/gnome-volume-control or any
other mixer, make sure that master, pcm, etc are unmuted, have decent
volume level.

On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 01:13:54PM +0200, Andrea Giuliano wrote:
> I can't get sound from any jack I connect my
> speakers (or headphones) to.
>
> Here are lspci for the card:
>
> 00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio
> (rev a2)
> Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 0397
> Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
> Latency: 0 (500ns min, 1250ns max)
> Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 22
> Region 0: Memory at f9ef8000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
> [size=16K]
> Capabilities: <access denied>
> Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
> Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
>
> I already ran alsaconf, which finds the card and configures it saying
> "enjoy" too!

Hello,

Have you already tried alsamixer?
Channels probably are muted.

man alsamixer for the keyboard controls.

Regards.

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB
From: Camaleón on
On Sat, 01 May 2010 13:13:54 +0200, Andrea Giuliano wrote:

(...)

> Could it be that all external jacks are disconnected at all due to some
> mistakes during the assembly of the whole box? Clearly front connector
> must be connected manually, but I really don't think that the rear ones
> must be enabled with jumpers or such.

Front connector has to be manually plugged, yes. But embedded sound
chipset has also to be enabled in the BIOS in order to work (which is the
default) and as you already tested, it is detected by the system, so I
don't think this is the problem here.

I would go for a software problem configuration as d.sastre.medina
already pointed out (sound levels muted -or very low-, or sound card
model wrongly recognized by alsa and so the number and position of the
inputs/outputs).

Anyway, you can always load any LiveCD to check if sound is workimg from
there, to discard any harwdare issue.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Alsamixer doesn'i show muted input. Not does gnome-volume-settings. I
also checked out gnome-sound-properties, and it gives no errors at all,
as if it thinks everything is working fine.

Here is the output from amixer:

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 42
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 34 [81%] [-12.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 34 [81%] [-12.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 31
Front Left: Capture 20 [65%] [13.50dB] [on]
Front Right: Capture 20 [65%] [13.50dB] [on]

and here is /proc/asound/cards

0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xf9ef8000 irq 22

I'm going to try a LiveCD or such, but I'm not very optimistic.

Thanks anyway.