From: Alexander Samad on
[snip]

> An Intel NIC would usually be my first choice but since this board has
> no PCIe slots I'm hesitant to use a PCI NIC if it's going to limit
> network bandwidth.

have you tried getting the realtek driver and compiling it, on some of
my earlier boards, the nic was loaded by an in line kernel module
but it didn't work properly.... I had to down load the realtek and compile it.

> I hope that answers all your questions and I'll try updating BIOS,
> drivers and run those tests when I get home.
> Thanks

[snip]

Nathen put forth on 7/5/2010 4:47 AM:

> An Intel NIC would usually be my first choice but since this board has
> no PCIe slots I'm hesitant to use a PCI NIC if it's going to limit
> network bandwidth.

Hint: a standard PCI 32bit/33MHz PCI bus can transfer 132MB/s, which is
slightly greater than the throughput of a single GigE NIC which is a little
over 100MB/s. If the NIC is the only device on that bus, then you have no
worries, and likewise if the bus is shared with a low bandwidth PCI device or two.

What motherboard is this again and which RAID card? Apologies if you already
posted it and I missed it.

--
Stan

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 11:42 PM, Alexander Samad <alex(a)samad.com.au> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> An Intel NIC would usually be my first choice but since this board has
>> no PCIe slots I'm hesitant to use a PCI NIC if it's going to limit
>> network bandwidth.
>
> have you tried getting the realtek driver and compiling it, on some of
> my earlier boards, the nic was loaded by an in line kernel module
> but it didn't work properly.... I had to down load the realtek and compile it.

I was experiencing weird issues with my NIC aswell, check if you have
the r8169 kernel module loaded, if so, that might be the cause of your
crashes.

Get the proper drivers for your NIC on the realtek website, compile
them against your kernel, run depmod, blacklist the old module, update
initramfs and you shouldn't have any more trouble.

--
Davide Mirtillo

I posted this earlier but it's not appeared on the list for some reason:

Sorry about the delay I didn't have a chance to try anything yesterday.
Anyway I've just tried a direct connection, updating BIOS, compiling and
installing the latest drivers and it's still the same, if not worse - it
seems I can crash it with as little as two iperf runs now. I'm still
relatively inexperienced with Linux though so I might be doing something
wrong. I haven't managed to find that PCI card yet but I'll keep looking
or try to borrow one from a friend or something.

I'm using an Intel Atom D510MO board and no RAID.

Nathen put forth on 7/6/2010 12:56 PM:
> I posted this earlier but it's not appeared on the list for some reason:
>
> Sorry about the delay I didn't have a chance to try anything yesterday.
> Anyway I've just tried a direct connection, updating BIOS, compiling and
> installing the latest drivers and it's still the same, if not worse - it
> seems I can crash it with as little as two iperf runs now. I'm still
> relatively inexperienced with Linux though so I might be doing something
> wrong. I haven't managed to find that PCI card yet but I'll keep looking
> or try to borrow one from a friend or something.
>
> I'm using an Intel Atom D510MO board and no RAID.

~$30 + shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106121
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106122
(2nd one has short bracket for low profile cases, functionally identical)

I don't use anything but Intel NICs with Linux. I've had such great luck with
them and the cost is low enough there's no legitimate reason to even try
competing products. These cards simply work, and work well. Totally
compatible, totally reliable. Did I mention they're fast? They push wire
speed all day long if the rest of the system is up to the task.

--
Stan