From: Nathen on
For some reason my server stops responding to network traffic (shares
go offline, no response to SSH or ping, etc) after heavy load -
transferring large amounts of data via Samba or running several iperf
benchmarks causes it, however the system still responds to the power
button so shuts down when it's pressed. I'm using an Intel D510MO
board with Realtek 8111DL network controller which I'm guessing has
something to do with it, I could be wrong. I think it might be a bug
but I thought it best to ask here first.
Thanks. :)

On Du, 04 iul 10, 20:53:32, Nathen wrote:
> For some reason my server stops responding to network traffic (shares
> go offline, no response to SSH or ping, etc) after heavy load -
> transferring large amounts of data via Samba or running several iperf
> benchmarks causes it, however the system still responds to the power
> button so shuts down when it's pressed. I'm using an Intel D510MO
> board with Realtek 8111DL network controller which I'm guessing has
> something to do with it, I could be wrong. I think it might be a bug
> but I thought it best to ask here first.
> Thanks. :)

Anything interesting in the logs (/var/log/syslog)?

Do you have a different adapter (preferably different chipset) to test
with?

Are you sure it's not the switch (if you have any)?

You might also try to replace the cable(s), you never know.

Regards,
Andrei
On 07/04/2010 02:53 PM, Nathen wrote:
> For some reason my server stops responding to network traffic (shares
> go offline, no response to SSH or ping, etc) after heavy load -
> transferring large amounts of data via Samba or running several iperf

How heavy is "heavy"?

> benchmarks causes it, however the system still responds to the power
> button so shuts down when it's pressed. I'm using an Intel D510MO
> board with Realtek 8111DL network controller which I'm guessing has

Yeah, probably.

> something to do with it, I could be wrong. I think it might be a bug
> but I thought it best to ask here first.

Intel NICs seem to be very popular on servers, and are very well
supported under Linux.

--
Seek truth from facts.

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 08:53:32PM +0100, Nathen wrote:
> For some reason my server stops responding to network traffic (shares
> go offline, no response to SSH or ping, etc) after heavy load -
> transferring large amounts of data via Samba or running several iperf
> benchmarks causes it, however the system still responds to the power
> button so shuts down when it's pressed. I'm using an Intel D510MO
> board with Realtek 8111DL network controller which I'm guessing has
> something to do with it, I could be wrong. I think it might be a bug
> but I thought it best to ask here first.
> Thanks. :)

Hello:

Are you running the latest BIOS version? Check this thread:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=771174 . A poster there
said that network problems went away after updating the BIOS to
version 0210. Also there are some vague reports of network problems
in the newegg.com reviews for this board. One user says that the
problems can be solved by "manually compiling drivers from Realtek".

I hope that you can solve the problem and would appreciate if you
shared your results.

Jaime

Thanks for replying.
To answer your questions - I couldn't find anything unusual in the
logs, the first message around the time of the crash was the shutdown
message when I pressed the power button.
I have a PCI realtek card I could try with, I think it's a different
chipset so I'll try with that, no switch and a different cable when I
get home later.

Sorry, I should have been more specific - it usually happens after
copying tens of GB but it seems random because it survives more
sometimes. For example I was backing up a number of large files (about
40GB total) which caused a crash the first time I tried, halfway
through copying a file but everything copied fine after a reboot. Also
running iperf about ten times caused another crash but again this
seems variable.
An Intel NIC would usually be my first choice but since this board has
no PCIe slots I'm hesitant to use a PCI NIC if it's going to limit
network bandwidth.

I hope that answers all your questions and I'll try updating BIOS,
drivers and run those tests when I get home.
Thanks