From: Felipe Sateler on
On 10/07/10 01:49, John Frankish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed NetworkManager and started to use it with wired/wireless connections.
>
> Things work fine with the wired connection, but although NetworkManager displays several available wireless networks, it will not connect.
>
> The problem is that when I select the available network to join, NetworkManager diplays a dialogue "Wireless Network Authentication Required" and requests a "WEP 128-bit Passphrase". Entering the "128 bits 26 hex digits" code for my router does not work, I believe I need to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key", but when I select this, the "Connect" button is greyed out and I cannot enter the code.
>
> Any ideas whey trying to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key" is not possible with NetworkManager?

What are you typing into the textbox? In a later example you are putting
the : separators to iwconfig. I think you should not add them to network
manager.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler

> > I just installed NetworkManager and started to use it with
> > wired/wireless connections.
> >
> > Things work fine with the wired connection, but although
> > NetworkManager displays several available wireless networks, it will
> > not connect.
> >
> > The problem is that when I select the available network to join,
> > NetworkManager diplays a dialogue "Wireless Network Authentication
> > Required" and requests a "WEP 128-bit Passphrase". Entering the "128
> > bits 26 hex digits" code for my router does not work, I believe I need
> > to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key", but when I select this, the "Connect"
> > button is greyed out and I cannot enter the code.
> >
> > Any ideas whey trying to enter a "WEP 40/128-bit Key" is not possible
> > with NetworkManager?
> >

> What are you typing into the textbox? In a later example you are
> putting the : separators to iwconfig. I think you should not add them
> to network manager.
>

> --
Thanks - I'd just came to the same conclusion, i.e. entering:

12:34:56:78:9A:BC:DE:F1:23:45:67:89:AB

Causes the "connect" button to be greyed out, but entering:

123456789abcdef123456789ab

Leaves the "connect" button "clickable.

...but NetworkManager still does not connect

Hmm - now I see the following in dmesg:

ipw2100: Fatal interrupt. Scheduling firmware restart

There are many, many hits for this in google, but no solutions...

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 3:14 AM, John Frankish <j-frankish(a)slb.com> wrote:

> Hmm - now I see the following in dmesg:
>
> ipw2100: Fatal interrupt. Scheduling firmware restart
>
> There are many, many hits for this in google, but no solutions...

I assume you have gotten things working with WEP turned off? Go the
the router and disable WEP, and similarly on your computer select "no
encryption", and make sure everything works. I can't remember if you
said you had done that or if somebody else mentioned this, but just to
be sure, it's worth checking that things work properly in the most
simple setup.

John

No, I have not tried turning WEP off, but on the same machine booted in tinycorelinux I can connect, albeit after a couple of attempts and not using NetworkManager.

Also on three other laptops (none of which use the same hardware) and an iPhone there are no problems connecting.

I'll try rmmod/modprobe ipw2100 (google suggests this might work) and if not, I guess it's ndiswrapper...