From: John on
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 3:41 AM, John Frankish <j-frankish(a)slb.com> wrote:

> [...]

This last bit suggests that you are looking at hardware and
compatibility. Someone else on this thread has suggested
NetworkManager does not have a great reputation. That gives you lots
of variables (aka "suspects").

I have a Mepis 8 live CD that I sometimes use for testing (even if
it's a plain Debian system). Mepis 8 is basically Lenny, but Mepis
has (and has had for quite a long time) a very effective network
control package. If in doubt about an encrypted wifi connection, I
find that throwing in this live CD can at least give me a clue about
hardware and compatibility. It accepts the WEP key as either Hex or
Ascii (automatically translates to Hex), which can be handy.

John

On Tuesday 13 July 2010 08:41:58 John Frankish wrote:
> No, I have not tried turning WEP off, but on the same machine booted in
> tinycorelinux I can connect, albeit after a couple of attempts and not
> using NetworkManager.
>
> Also on three other laptops (none of which use the same hardware) and an
> iPhone there are no problems connecting.
>
> I'll try rmmod/modprobe ipw2100 (google suggests this might work) and if
> not, I guess it's ndiswrapper...

Why not try uninstalling Network Mangler and using someother method - e.g.
WICD (my own preferred solution), /etc/network/interfaces or some other
manager?

Lisi

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Lisi <lisi.reisz(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not try uninstalling Network Mangler and using someother method - e.g.
> WICD (my own preferred solution), /etc/network/interfaces or some other
> manager?
>
> Lisi

+1. WICD solved a similar problem on my girlfriend's laptop. NM couldn't
connect but WICD had no issues connecting.
From: Bruno Costacurta on

> Why not try uninstalling Network Mangler and using someother method - e.g.
> WICD (my own preferred solution), /etc/network/interfaces or some other
> manager?

> Lisi

+1 for WICD

With NetworkManager I faced some failures to connect to the (public so
no WEP or WAP) Wifi in my favorite bar : few times per month the Wifi
was correcly detected but NetworkManager was simply unable to connect
to it.

Now with WICD it simply works 24/7.

Bye,
Bruno

--
Linux Counter #353844
http://counter.li.org/

I tried a few more things:

1. NetworkManager
I get the errors below and rmmod/modprobe ipw2100 does not help. Since only NetworkManager
and not wicd nor "the old way" produces these error messages, I presume this is a bug.

$ dmesg | grep ipw2100
[ 6.807473] ipw2100: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Driver, git-1.2.2
[ 6.807478] ipw2100: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
[ 6.829420] ipw2100 0000:01:0a.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LNKG] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
[ 6.830090] ipw2100: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection
[ 6.830117] ipw2100 0000:01:0a.0: firmware: requesting ipw2100-1.3.fw
[ 39.906727] ipw2100: Fatal interrupt. Scheduling firmware restart.
[ 78.668486] ipw2100: Fatal interrupt. Scheduling firmware restart.
[ 130.105385] ipw2100: Fatal interrupt. Scheduling firmware restart.

2. wicd
All attempts to connect to the wireless network result in an error message "bad password"
There are no errors in dmesg

3. This works without errors in dmesg and wcid recognizes the link is connected

$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
# wireless
allow-hotplug eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp
wireless-essid myessid
wireless-key 12:34:56:78:9A:BC:DE:F1:23:45:67:89:AB
wireless-keymode restricted