From: Chris Austin on
Hi,

On Mon, 17 May 2010 deloptes wrote:

> Just for the record there are many ways to make it done and I think this
> article explains a lot concerning your issue

> http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~danlee/fun/psaux/

Thanks for the link.

On Mon, 17 May 2010 Tom Furie wrote:

> Do you have some reason for not wanting to use a scrollwheel?

Not really, but looking on Google for 3-button mice, I saw a message that said
a scroll-wheel mouse is fiddly to use, and the scroll-wheel has to be clicked
accurately, or something to that effect. I had never seen one close up, so I
wasn't sure how they worked, and besides, I don't need a scrollwheel. In fact
I purchased two anyway, and the first arrived this morning.

> Have you been using a scrollwheel mouse with 3-button emulation?

No, it was a Maxtro 2-button mouse, new around 2003. 3-button emulation
worked well in Woody and Etch, but when I did a fresh install of Lenny when it
became Stable in April last year, everything was brilliant, except that the
3-button emulation seemed to have deteriorated for some reason. In
desperation I extended the Emulate3Timeout as described on
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2009/11/msg00120.html and worked with
that for a year, but due I guess to less software contact bounce suppression
in Xorg than in XFree86, I often still got unwanted context menus.

Best regards,
Chris Austin.

On 05/17/2010 06:50 AM, Chris Austin wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010 Tom Furie wrote:
>
>> Do you have some reason for not wanting to use a scrollwheel?
>
> Not really, but looking on Google for 3-button mice, I saw a message that said
> a scroll-wheel mouse is fiddly to use, and the scroll-wheel has to be clicked
> accurately, or something to that effect. I had never seen one close up, so I
> wasn't sure how they worked, and besides, I don't need a scrollwheel. In fact
> I purchased two anyway, and the first arrived this morning.

The fist time you accidentally move the mouse over to Window B and
scroll the wheel while Window A is active, you'll wonder how you
ever lived without it.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On Monday 17 May 2010 12:50:49 Chris Austin wrote:
> > Do you have some reason for not wanting to use a scrollwheel?
>
> Not really, but looking on Google for 3-button mice, I saw a message that
> said a scroll-wheel mouse is fiddly to use, and the scroll-wheel has to be
> clicked accurately, or something to that effect.

I have never had a problem with this in the 4/5 years that I have been using
Linux, with a large variety of different scroll wheel mice on a number of
different computers and in various distros. I find a scroll wheel mouse much
easier to use than a three button mouse, because the distinction between the
buttons is easier to identify.

Lisi

Dne, 16. 05. 2010 15:59:19 je Chris Austin napisal(a):
> The three buttons now appear to be working as they are supposed to,
> i.e. 1 for
> select, 2 for context menus, and middle / 3 for paste, and even just
> while
> writing this message it has been an enormous relief to be able to
> paste with a
> proper middle button, rather than by 3-button emulation, which in
> Lenny
> frequently gives an unwanted context menu, and even worse, sometimes
> activates
> an item in that context menu.

Uhm? I've been using Lenny on three different machines since 5.00 first
came out and haven't seen the behavior you describe. Even my Genius
bluetooth mouse works without a glitch, as do two distinct wireless
Trust el-cheapo mice (one PS/2, the other USB). I *do* however
encounter a somewhat similar problem with my laptop's touchpad: in
Iceweasel, instead of scrolling the page (the touchpad has right-edge
scrolling enabled by default), it apparently tries to jump to another
URL, or maybe pastes an URL from somewhere. Haven't yet been able to
track down the source of this annoyance though ... ;(

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801