From: Chris Austin on
Hi,

I have just bought a new 3-button mouse since 3-button emulation does not seem to work well in Lenny - I had a lot of trouble with unpredictable behaviour apparently due to contact bounce and getting unwanted context menus, some of whose entries were sometimes unintentionally activated, with bad effects - but unfortunately the new mouse is serial rather than PS/2.

I have done dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg as root in a terminal before starting kdm, but there was no mention of a mouse, only keyboard options were mentioned. And the new mouse is completely non-functional after doing kdm.

I have also tried Xorg -configure, and the following message was given:

Xorg detected your mouse at device /dev/input/mice. Please check your config if the mouse is still not operational, as by default Xorg tries to autodetect the protocol. Your xorg.conf file is /root/xorg.conf.new.

The only mentions of the mouse in /root/xorg.conf.new are in the first section:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

and in a later section:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

I ran X -config /root/xorg.conf.new to test the new xorg.conf, but the new mouse was still nonfunctional. It was plugged into Serial port 1, and I also tried going into the BIOS and altering Onboard Serial Port A from 3f8h/COM1 to Auto, but this didn't help either.

Are serial mice supported in Lenny?

Best regards,
Chris Austin.

On 5/15/10 10:34 AM, Chris Austin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just bought a new 3-button mouse since 3-button emulation does not seem to work well in Lenny - I had a lot of trouble with unpredictable behaviour apparently due to contact bounce and getting unwanted context menus, some of whose entries were sometimes unintentionally activated, with bad effects - but unfortunately the new mouse is serial rather than PS/2.
>
> I have done dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg as root in a terminal before starting kdm, but there was no mention of a mouse, only keyboard options were mentioned. And the new mouse is completely non-functional after doing kdm.
>
> I have also tried Xorg -configure, and the following message was given:
>
> Xorg detected your mouse at device /dev/input/mice. Please check your config if the mouse is still not operational, as by default Xorg tries to autodetect the protocol. Your xorg.conf file is /root/xorg.conf.new.
>
> The only mentions of the mouse in /root/xorg.conf.new are in the first section:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "X.org Configured"
> Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
> InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> and in a later section:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Mouse0"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "auto"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
> EndSection
>
> I ran X -config /root/xorg.conf.new to test the new xorg.conf, but the new mouse was still nonfunctional. It was plugged into Serial port 1, and I also tried going into the BIOS and altering Onboard Serial Port A from 3f8h/COM1 to Auto, but this didn't help either.
>
> Are serial mice supported in Lenny?
>
> Best regards,
> Chris Austin.

I would take X out of the equation, and see if you can get it working in
the console with gpm.

--
Kent

Hi,

On Saturday 15 May 2010 23:11:27 Kent West wrote:
> I would take X out of the equation, and see if you can get it working in
> the console with gpm.

This has now worked, and the 3-button serial mouse is now working in KDE with
the data fed through gpm more or less as described in

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/FAQ#lefthandmouse

but with a crucial difference. Specifically, the non-commented-out lines of
/etc/gpm.conf now read:

device=/dev/ttyS0
responsiveness=
repeat_type=ms3
type=mman
append=''
sample_rate=

And the non-commented-out lines of the only part of /etc/X11/xorg.conf that
refers to the mouse now read:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
Option "Protocol" "IntelliMouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

The most crucial difference from what I expected from the documentation, and
from what dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg put in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, is the line
device=/dev/ttyS0
in /etc/gpm.conf. I guess the explanation must be that /dev/input/mice is only
for PS/2 mice. So the statement by Xorg -configure that Xorg detected the
(serial) mouse at /dev/input/mice is at present unexplained.

A clue to why the above arrangement works is provided in
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/3-Button-Mouse-8.html
which states that the -R option of gpm, apparently related to repeat_type,
makes gpm re-export the mouse data to a new device, called /dev/gpmdata, which
looks like a mouse to any other program.

This 3-button mouse is the one described as 3 Button AT Serial Mouse 520 DPI on
Amazon UK and was purchased from CableCity.co.uk via Amazon. I subsequently
found and purchased a PS/2 mouse of the same design on the CableCity website,
but it hasn't arrived yet. These two mice are the only genuine 3-button mice
with 3 genuine buttons rather than 2 buttons plus a scrollwheel / button that I
could find. The PS/2 mouse on the CableCity website cost just 99 pence plus
postage and is marked for clearance, which seems a shame. The name on the
serial mouse box is Easy Mouse, and the box says Made in China. The side panel
of the box indicates that a USB version and a Combo PS/2+USB version might also
be available.

The three buttons now appear to be working as they are supposed to, i.e. 1 for
select, 2 for context menus, and middle / 3 for paste, and even just while
writing this message it has been an enormous relief to be able to paste with a
proper middle button, rather than by 3-button emulation, which in Lenny
frequently gives an unwanted context menu, and even worse, sometimes activates
an item in that context menu.

Best regards,
Chris Austin.

Chris Austin wrote:

> This has now worked, and the 3-button serial mouse is now working in KDE
> with the data fed through gpm more or less as described in

Just for the record there are many ways to make it done and I think this
article explains a lot concerning your issue

http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~danlee/fun/psaux/

regards

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 02:59:19PM +0100, Chris Austin wrote:

> These two mice are the only genuine 3-button mice with 3 genuine
> buttons rather than 2 buttons plus a scrollwheel / button that I could
> find.

Do you have some reason for not wanting to use a scrollwheel?

> The three buttons now appear to be working as they are supposed to,
> i.e. 1 for select, 2 for context menus, and middle / 3 for paste, and
> even just while writing this message it has been an enormous relief to
> be able to paste with a proper middle button, rather than by 3-button
> emulation, which in Lenny frequently gives an unwanted context menu,
> and even worse, sometimes activates an item in that context menu.

Have you been using a scrollwheel mouse with 3-button emulation?

Cheers,
Tom

--
Thrashing is just virtual crashing.