From: Ron Johnson on
On 07/17/2010 04:30 PM, Camale�n wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:16:01 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> On 07/17/2010 03:24 PM, Camale�n wrote:
>
>>> Are you getting any output errors when launching Iceweasel from console
>>> and loading any flash video?
>>>

>> Nope...
>
> Run "alsamixer" and check the volume for all the channels :-?

First thing I did.

Note, though, that for USB Audio there are only three channels:
Bass, Treble, PCM.

No "Master". That may very well be the problem, but I don't know
what to do about it.

--
Seek truth from facts.

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:13:35 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 07/17/2010 04:30 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Run "alsamixer" and check the volume for all the channels :-?
>>

> First thing I did.
>
> Note, though, that for USB Audio there are only three channels: Bass,
> Treble, PCM.
>
> No "Master". That may very well be the problem, but I don't know what
> to do about it.

Yep, but having no master channel should also make no sound for the rest
of the applications and not just Icewasel :-?

It's quite bizarre...

Wait, is the USB device a headset or an external sound card? I say that
beacuse of this:

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=firefox+flash+headset+sound+linux&fp=6c67857170793776

Maybe is not just Flash the only app having no sound in Iceweasel.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 07/17/2010 05:57 PM, Camale�n wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:13:35 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> On 07/17/2010 04:30 PM, Camale�n wrote:
>
>>> Run "alsamixer" and check the volume for all the channels :-?
>>>

>> First thing I did.
>>
>> Note, though, that for USB Audio there are only three channels: Bass,
>> Treble, PCM.
>>
>> No "Master". That may very well be the problem, but I don't know what
>> to do about it.
>
> Yep, but having no master channel should also make no sound for the rest
> of the applications and not just Icewasel :-?
>
> It's quite bizarre...
>
> Wait, is the USB device a headset or an external sound card?

Speakers. But effectively big headsets.

> I say that
> beacuse of this:
>
> http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=firefox+flash+headset+sound+linux&fp=6c67857170793776

They all reference asoundconf which has apparently been deprecated
for PA.

> Maybe is not just Flash the only app having no sound in Iceweasel.

MP3s play just fine.

--
Seek truth from facts.

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/17/2010 04:09 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

>> Ron I've had that problem a couple times before, what I found was one of
>> my channels was "not" selected in the volume control in Kmix.
>
> That's kinda where my thoughts have been leaning, since USB Audio only
> have Bass, Treble and PCM in it's mixer. But I don't know what to do
> about it.

I hate sound problems, for me the channel was there, I only had to
select it. Good luck.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 18:41:35 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/17/2010 05:57 PM, Camaleón wrote:

> >>First thing I did.
> >>
> >>Note, though, that for USB Audio there are only three channels: Bass,
> >>Treble, PCM.
> >>
> >>No "Master". That may very well be the problem, but I don't know what
> >>to do about it.
> >
> >Yep, but having no master channel should also make no sound for the rest
> >of the applications and not just Icewasel :-?
> >
> >It's quite bizarre...
> >
> >Wait, is the USB device a headset or an external sound card?
>
> Speakers. But effectively big headsets.
>
> > I say that
> >beacuse of this:
> >
> >http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=firefox+flash+headset+sound+linux&fp=6c67857170793776
> >

> They all reference asoundconf which has apparently been deprecated
> for PA.
>
> >Maybe is not just Flash the only app having no sound in Iceweasel.
> >

> MP3s play just fine.

Knowing which audio devices are grabbed by which processes might shed
some light on the situation; I would be interested to see the output of

lsof +c0 $(find /dev/ -group audio)

both when flashplayer tries and fails to play sound and when other
plugins of iceweasel do so successfully.

Another test would be if killing the pulseaudio daemon makes the sound
devices accessible to flashplayer.

Also, which value of ICEWEASEL_DSP is set in /etc/iceweasel/iceweaselrc?

--
Regards, |
Florian |