From: Rob Owens on
On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 06:22:23PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/18/2010 05:53 PM, Rob Owens wrote:

>>> I hate sound problems, for me the channel was there, I only had to
>>> select it. Good luck.
>>
>> I've found that sometimes gnome-alsamixer has channels/options that
>> regular alsamixer does not have. Maybe give it a try.
>>

> Is that System->Properties->Sound?

I'm not sure, actually, since I normally use Fluxbox. It might be what
gets run when you double-click on the volume icon. But try running
gnome-alsamixer from the command line just to be sure.

-Rob

On 07/18/2010 07:40 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 06:22:23PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> I've found that sometimes gnome-alsamixer has channels/options that
>>> regular alsamixer does not have. Maybe give it a try.
>>>

>> Is that System->Properties->Sound?
>>
> I'm not sure, actually, since I normally use Fluxbox. It might be what
> gets run when you double-click on the volume icon. But try running
> gnome-alsamixer from the command line just to be sure.

$ apt-cache policy gnome-alsamixer
gnome-alsamixer:
Installed: 0.9.7~cvs.20060916.ds.1-2
Candidate: 0.9.7~cvs.20060916.ds.1-2
Version table:
*** 0.9.7~cvs.20060916.ds.1-2 0
500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

That's a *really old* application!

Anyway, it shows what all the rest show: Bass, Treble, PCM.

--
Seek truth from facts.

On 7/17/10, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My Google-fu must not be up to snuff, because I've Googled much
> without any luck.
>
> USB Audio
> 32-bit Sid
> ALSA 1.0.23+dfsg-1
> Flash 10.1r53 (from adobe.com)
> Iceweasel 3.6.4-1 (experimental)
> vlc 1.1.0
> users are in group audio
>
> Sound plays fine from local sources but not from Flash/Iceweasel.
> (Yes, Flash *video* works.)
>
> Any thoughts on how to solve this would be much appreciated, since
> otherwise my wife will insist on moving back to Windows.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Seek truth from facts.

Hmm, I saw so many feedback that I don't know if any covers what I'll
suggest... As you mentioned that it works for you on other
applications, it might be silly what I suggest, but perhaps you
haven't covered it...

I have an USB audio device as well, one of those cheap ones, :-) But
when there's no other sound device in the box, there's a problem with
them, because some applications do not look for secondary devices,
they just look for the first one (make sense that if there's no first
then there's no second). But debian has its way of deciding things,
so the alsa team decided it's best to always set the usb devices as
secondary ones, never as first ones... So to solve all problems I had
with usb audio devices, what I did is to comment out the trick debian
uses...

% grep usb /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
23:# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
24:options snd-usb-audio index=-2

Line 24 of alsa-base.conf makes snd-usb-audio to get second, no matter
what... That makes some applications blind to it...

What I did to correct that is to comment out line 24, as follows:

% grep usb /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
23:# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
24:# options snd-usb-audio index=-2

Then I never faced usb audio devices problems again...

Again, I apologize if this has been covered already. I myself do not
use any desktop manager, just plain old good fluxbox, so I wouldn't
know if suggestions about gnome-* and all that stuff is the real
answer... Any ways, this I'm pointing out might be so basic that no
one mantioned it, and you might have done it already, so I just wanted
to make sure this basic thing got covered...

Good luck,

--
Javier.

On 07/18/2010 08:09 PM, Javier Vasquez wrote:
[snip]

> I have an USB audio device as well, one of those cheap ones, :-) But
> when there's no other sound device in the box, there's a problem with
> them, because some applications do not look for secondary devices,
> they just look for the first one (make sense that if there's no first
> then there's no second). But debian has its way of deciding things,
> so the alsa team decided it's best to always set the usb devices as
> secondary ones, never as first ones... So to solve all problems I had
> with usb audio devices, what I did is to comment out the trick debian
> uses...
>
> % grep usb /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
> 23:# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
> 24:options snd-usb-audio index=-2
>
> Line 24 of alsa-base.conf makes snd-usb-audio to get second, no matter
> what... That makes some applications blind to it...
>
> What I did to correct that is to comment out line 24, as follows:
>
> % grep usb /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
> 23:# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
> 24:# options snd-usb-audio index=-2
>
> Then I never faced usb audio devices problems again...

I actually did do something similar to that, and for exactly the
reason you mention. That was my first hurdle. Flash is my 2nd.

$ grep usb /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
## But I *want* snd-usb-audio to be the first soundcard...
options snd-usb-audio index=0

--
Seek truth from facts.

On 7/18/10, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> [...]
>>>>

>>> Attached are 3 files.
>>>
>>> I'm sure it's relevant (and I deeply apologize for forgetting about
>>> this) that sound only plays *at all* when I've got this ~/.asoundrc
>>> file:
>>>
>>> $ cat .asoundrc
>>> pcm.!default {
>>> type hw
>>> card Device
>>> }
>>
>> Strace shows that the plugin does try to access ~/.asoundrc, but I don't
>> know what it makes of the information in that file. (I don't use
>> ~/.asoundrc at the moment.)

>>> I don't use PA.
>>
>> OK, I misinterpreted your earlier remark about PA.

>>> "none"
>>
>> That has been working for me for years.
>>

> As it does on "my" computer, which is 64-bit, Flash 1.0.r45 but with
> a "real" sound card.
>
>>> $ lsof +c0 $(find /dev/ -group audio)
>>> COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
>>> mixer_applet2 2193 ron 21r CHR 116,9 0t0 3204
>>> /dev/snd/controlC0
>>> aqualung 3251 ron mem CHR 116,8 3201
>>> /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
>>> aqualung 3251 ron 4r CHR 116,8 0t0 3201
>>> /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
>>
>>> $ lsof +c0 $(find /dev/ -group audio)
>>> COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
>>> mixer_applet2 2193 ron 21r CHR 116,9 0t0 3204
>>> /dev/snd/controlC0
>>
>>> $ cat dsp.quiet.txt
>>> lsof +c0 $(find /dev/ -group audio)
>>> COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
>>> mixer_applet2 2193 ron 21r CHR 116,9 0t0 3204
>>> /dev/snd/controlC0
>>
>> Everything is normal with aqualung, but it looks like flashplayer does
>> not even try to play audio. On my Sid systems it is not bothered at all
>> by the fact that kmix has /dev/snd/controlC0 open, it simply uses
>> /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p and /dev/snd/timer as needed.
>>
>> You could run iceweasel under strace:
>>
>> strace -f -efile -o iceweasel-flash.strace iceweasel
>>
>> Let a flash video play silently for a few seconds and then close the
>> browser. Afterwards you can check what has been accessed:
>>
>> grep -E 'a(lsa|sound)|/dev/(a?dsp|audio|mixer|snd)'
>> iceweasel-flash.strace
>>

> http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/iceweasel-flash.strace.grep.txt
>
> This might not be useful, since v3.6.4 uses plugin process separation.
>
>> Before you break out the big guns, though, you can try to set
>> ICEWEASEL_DSP to "aoss" (assuming you have "oss-compat" installed), or
>
> Didn't work.
> members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/iceweasel-flash.aoss.strace.grep.txt
>
>> maybe installing flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound will help, or switching
>
> Didn't work either.
>
> http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/iceweasel-flash.aoss.extra.strace.grep.txt
>
>> from flashplugin-nonfree to flashplayer-mozilla, or vice versa. (I did
>> not read the entire thread, maybe some of these things were already
>> suggested.)
>>

> flashplayer-mozilla has never worked for me.

Sorry to be stubborn... And this time? The flashplayer-mozilla from
debian-multimedia has always worked for me on both both i686 and newer
amd64 boxes, including old boxes with just usb audio device. The
amd64 unstable version of flashplayer-mozilla from debian multimedia
depends upon some ia32 libraries as of current unstable... Right now
1:10.1.53.64-0.0 (i686) or 2:10.1.53.64-0.0 (amd64)... I don't have
any other flash player supplier installed, just in case...

BTW, alsamixer only shows to me PCM and Auto Gain Control, and that
doesn't seem to be a problem...

Hope you find what's inhibiting flash to work on your box... And
again, sorry to suggest something you already discarded given your
experience...

--
Javier.