From: Camaleón on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 08:48:23 +0300, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

(...)

> (EE) XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp
> (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
> XKB: Failed to compile keymap
> Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect
> setup of xkeyboard-config.
>
> Fatal server error:
> Failed to activate core devices.

It seems to be an error of the whole X system, which cannot start because
it fails to initilize mouse and keyboard modules.

I'm not sure how to bypass this, maybe you are hitting a sort of bug
here :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 7/16/2010 2:49 AM, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> On 07/16/2010 09:31 AM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
>> Run: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>> > From terminal.
>> Install Nvidia drivers: http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
>>
> I tried dpkg-reconfigure but to no effect. I have already tried the
> nvidia drivers using module assistant. The computer hangs when using xen
> (but not on a regular kernel).
> Thanks!

You need to make sure you are not using GLX with Xen because Zen has no
support for 3D on anything but Windows, and on Windows it's very
experimental at best and it's very expensive because it requires
dedicated GPU's for domu and then dom/n/. You need to make sure the Xen
kernel is installed first, and then install the Nvidia module.

--
Cheers,

Jordon Bedwell
http://envygeeks.com

On 07/16/2010 10:54 AM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:

> You need to make sure you are not using GLX with Xen because Zen has no
> support for 3D on anything but Windows, and on Windows it's very
> experimental at best and it's very expensive because it requires
> dedicated GPU's for domu and then dom/n/. You need to make sure the Xen
> kernel is installed first, and then install the Nvidia module.

How to disable GLX? Thanks!

On 2010-07-16 07:48 +0200, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> I am trying to setup Lenny as dom0.

Your Xorg.0.log suggest that you're using Squeeze rather than Lenny.

> However I cannot get the X server
> to start. I have tried drivers vesa, nv and nvidia. The latter causes
> the system to hang. Here is my output from driver nv. The output from
> vesa is similar (has the same errors).
> [...]
> (EE) XKB: Could not invoke xkbcomp
> (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
> XKB: Failed to compile keymap
> Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect
> setup of xkeyboard-config.

Which version of x11-xkb-utils is installed, and what are the contents
of /etc/default/keyboard?

Sven