From: XS11E on
"Tom" <noway(a)nothere.com> wrote:

> "XS11E" <xs11e(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> XS11E <xs11e(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an Acronis image that isn't as current as I'd like, any
>>> way I can save the current Vista install before I wipe it and
>>> start over would be most helpful?
>>
>> I've created a new user and am setting Vista up to work that way.
>> It's going to be a very long, slow process but I've got email
>> and newsgroups working so far.... When it's all done I can
>> delete the previous user but..... I'd sure appreciate any ideas
>> on how to recover the old profile.
>>

> Try using "System restore" to the date where you installed the
> beta version, or before.

As mentioned in the original post, I've tried multiple restores.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: XS11E on
"Charlie Russel - MVP" <Charlie(a)mvKILLALLSPAMMERSps.org> wrote:

> XS11E -- Sorry to hear about your Office beta issues, and I hope
> the recovery goes well. Once you actually get ready to try this
> again, let me STRONGLY suggest that Office betas are now, and have
> always been, the best justification for virtualization possible.
> Office betas are NOTORIOUSLY flakey. Often interesting, and
> sometimes even useful, but not for the faint of heart and not to
> run on any machine one cares about. Create a VM and run it there.
> Use saved states and snapshots to give yourself a fallback
> position. And now you can actually enjoy the beta.

Thanks, that's V*E*R*Y G*O*O*D A*D*V*I*C*E. I was lulled into a false
sense of security from having run Office 2007 Betas from the earliest
w/o any problems at all.

AAMOF, this is the very first beta program I've had ANY problems with
other than the very earliest Windows 95 beta and some very minor
annoyances in an AVG beta program.

What I should have done (ain't hindsight WONDERFUL!) was to have
created an Acroins image just prior to installing. I usually do that
but had neglected to update my images for several weeks.

From the little I've seen of Office 2010 I think I'll probably wind up
eventually uninstalling Office 2007 and going back to Office 2003 which
at least enables Outlook Quote Fix to run on Outlook, I'll certainly
not be running Office 2010 again!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: John Barnes on
Sorry to hear of your problems. I have been running Office Professional
2010 Preview since July 15, 2009 with no problems. While I don't use a lot
of it, I have had no problems with either the 32 bit version on Vista 32 or
with the 64 bit version on Vista 64 and Win7 64 (not installed on final
version). I have not tried the betas.

From: XS11E on
"John Barnes" <jbfoofy(a)email.com> wrote:

> Sorry to hear of your problems. I have been running Office
> Professional 2010 Preview since July 15, 2009 with no problems.
> While I don't use a lot of it, I have had no problems with either
> the 32 bit version on Vista 32 or with the 64 bit version on Vista
> 64 and Win7 64 (not installed on final version). I have not
> tried the betas.

The preview IS a beta.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
I haven't spent any time with Office 2010 yet, though I'm about to fire it
up on a VM. But I mostly use Office 2007 apps EXCEPT for Word. I won't
upgrade to Word 2007 from Word 2003, so I doubt I'll be any more inclined to
run Word 2010.

I've been involved with so many betas over the years that I've gotten quite
careful about how I do things. With the exception of running Windows betas
on my main workstation ("self-hosting", in MS parlance), I always run betas
in a safe environment unless I'm involved in a TAP or its equivalent that
will directly support me during the beta. In the old days, we used
dual/multi-boot environments, but virtualization has been the salvation of
beta testers. Less so of beta teams, since it means that people are running
on essentially identical hardware.

It's fun to test the newest stuff and often a learning experience as well,
but it does have risks. And Office is one that has bitten me more than once,
so I treat it with special caution.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel