From: XS11E on

NOTE: I may be wrong but I do NOT beleive this is the wrong group,
Office caused the damage but it's a Vista 64 problem now, Windows Vista
Ultimate 64 with Office 2007 installed...

I downloaded the beta version of Office 2010 and it installed OK. I
ran Outlook and Word, both worked.

The next time I started the PC, Outlook refused to open as did Word,
etc. so I used the Add/Remove to remove Office 2010 Beta and got errors
(too long ago to recall what they were) but it seemed to uninstall, re-
installed Office 2007 but that failed, tried a system restore to prior
to installing the Beta-From-Hell but, while it worked, there were
problems which several reboots couldn't fix.

To get to the final results, after manual removal and multiple system
restores, etc. now when I boot into Vista I get a flashing screen with
a message "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and it repeats
continually. If I boot into safe mode, the same thing happens.

I had created the "true administrator" account and it boots and runs
with no problems.

Malware Bytes shows clean on ALL partitions and disks, MS Security
Essentials says it's clean, etc.

Any ideas? Anyone know how to contact the Office Beta folks? Since I
can't run it, that information seems unavailable now. <sigh>

PS. Dual booting into XP and all is well, I'm sending this from there.
XP has Office 2007 also but I didn't try to install the Beta-From-Hell
in XP.

I have an Acronis image that isn't as current as I'd like, any way I
can save the current Vista install before I wipe it and start over
would be most helpful?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: XS11E on
XS11E <xs11e(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> I have an Acronis image that isn't as current as I'd like, any way
> I can save the current Vista install before I wipe it and start
> over would be most helpful?

I've created a new user and am setting Vista up to work that way. It's
going to be a very long, slow process but I've got email and newsgroups
working so far.... When it's all done I can delete the previous user
but..... I'd sure appreciate any ideas on how to recover the old
profile.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Tom on

"XS11E" <xs11e(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> XS11E <xs11e(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I have an Acronis image that isn't as current as I'd like, any way
>> I can save the current Vista install before I wipe it and start
>> over would be most helpful?
>
> I've created a new user and am setting Vista up to work that way. It's
> going to be a very long, slow process but I've got email and newsgroups
> working so far.... When it's all done I can delete the previous user
> but..... I'd sure appreciate any ideas on how to recover the old
> profile.

Try using "System restore" to the date where you installed the beta version,
or before.

From: Scott on
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:39:58 -0700, XS11E <xs11e(a)NOSPAMyahoo.com>
wrote:

>NOTE: I may be wrong but I do NOT beleive this is the wrong group,
>Office caused the damage but it's a Vista 64 problem now, Windows Vista
>Ultimate 64 with Office 2007 installed...
>
>I downloaded the beta version of Office 2010 and it installed OK. I
>ran Outlook and Word, both worked.
>
>The next time I started the PC, Outlook refused to open as did Word,
>etc. so I used the Add/Remove to remove Office 2010 Beta and got errors
>(too long ago to recall what they were) but it seemed to uninstall, re-
>installed Office 2007 but that failed, tried a system restore to prior
>to installing the Beta-From-Hell but, while it worked, there were
>problems which several reboots couldn't fix.
>
>To get to the final results, after manual removal and multiple system
>restores, etc. now when I boot into Vista I get a flashing screen with
>a message "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and it repeats
>continually. If I boot into safe mode, the same thing happens.
>
>I had created the "true administrator" account and it boots and runs
>with no problems.
>
>Malware Bytes shows clean on ALL partitions and disks, MS Security
>Essentials says it's clean, etc.
>
>Any ideas? Anyone know how to contact the Office Beta folks? Since I
>can't run it, that information seems unavailable now. <sigh>
>
>PS. Dual booting into XP and all is well, I'm sending this from there.
>XP has Office 2007 also but I didn't try to install the Beta-From-Hell
>in XP.
>
>I have an Acronis image that isn't as current as I'd like, any way I
>can save the current Vista install before I wipe it and start over
>would be most helpful?

I tried it and it caused major problems with Outlook. It seemed to
set up a new data file (.pst) and I had great difficulty in trying to
get it to import the existing e-mails, contacts etc. The old data
file was no longer accessible as this was a new computer.

So eventually I uninstalled, fortunately without the difficulties you
encountered. My initial impression was that Word had been made far
too cluttered so I am not sure if I will be 'upgrading' to Office 2010
when it arrives.
From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
XS11E -- Sorry to hear about your Office beta issues, and I hope the
recovery goes well. Once you actually get ready to try this again, let me
STRONGLY suggest that Office betas are now, and have always been, the best
justification for virtualization possible. Office betas are NOTORIOUSLY
flakey. Often interesting, and sometimes even useful, but not for the faint
of heart and not to run on any machine one cares about. Create a VM and run
it there. Use saved states and snapshots to give yourself a fallback
position. And now you can actually enjoy the beta.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel