From: Mark Allums on
On 6/11/2010 6:48 AM, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Germana Oliveira:
>>
>> any suggestion are welcome!
>
> I won't comment on your disk layout, but just one hint: you should
> absolutely use LVM. It is nothing more than an abstraction layer between
> your disks/partitions and the filesystems, but offers a lot of
> flexibility. If after one year you recognize that today's decision about
> the partition layout aren't optimal anymore, LVM makes it really easy to
> extend your filesystems.
>
> J.

+1

You can easily move to another disk/partition (LVM volume) from an
existing (functioning) LVM volume with just a couple of commands and a
little wait time. By far the easiest way to do this. Of course, a dead
disk is a horse of another color; LVM, like RAID, is NOT a backup.

2010/6/12 Mark Allums <mark(a)allums.com>:
> On 6/11/2010 6:48 AM, Jochen Schulz wrote:

> You can easily move to another disk/partition (LVM volume) from an existing
> (functioning) LVM volume with just a couple of commands and a little wait
> time.  By far the easiest way to do this.  Of course, a dead disk is a horse
> of another color; LVM, like RAID, is NOT a backup.
>

> --

So.... LVM could be better thinking that i could migrate latter to
another (bigger) disk (s) ¿?

--
Germana Oliveira

http://626f67.wordpress.com
http://slcarabobo.wordpress.com

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me dozens of times, I'm an Apple customer.."

On 06/11/2010 03:18 PM, Germana Oliveira wrote:
> 2010/6/12 Mark Allums<mark(a)allums.com>:
>> On 6/11/2010 6:48 AM, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>
>> You can easily move to another disk/partition (LVM volume) from an existing
>> (functioning) LVM volume with just a couple of commands and a little wait
>> time. By far the easiest way to do this. Of course, a dead disk is a horse
>> of another color; LVM, like RAID, is NOT a backup.
>>

> So.... LVM could be better thinking that i could migrate latter to
> another (bigger) disk (s) ¿?

That's the idea. I don't put /boot or (/usr, /bin, /var, etc) in an
LVM, though, just /data.

My sda, though, is quite a bit bigger than yours.

--
"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be
done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental

On 6/11/2010 3:18 PM, Germana Oliveira wrote:
> 2010/6/12 Mark Allums<mark(a)allums.com>:
>> On 6/11/2010 6:48 AM, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>
>> You can easily move to another disk/partition (LVM volume) from an existing
>> (functioning) LVM volume with just a couple of commands and a little wait
>> time. By far the easiest way to do this. Of course, a dead disk is a horse
>> of another color; LVM, like RAID, is NOT a backup.
>
> So.... LVM could be better thinking that i could migrate latter to
> another (bigger) disk (s) �?

Yes. More or less. I was slightly misleading, however. It isn't
important now (though you *do* want to plan ahead), but I should
clarify, that migrating, e.g. to a new disk, usually means adding a new
disk to an existing LVM volume/group, not creating a separate, new
volume/group.

I hope I don't confuse you, perhaps I should stop talking now. But see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_(Linux)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_volume_management

and you might look at what this guy has to say:

http://sunoano.name/ws/lvm.html

Good Luck!

On 11.06.2010 13:17, Germana Oliveira wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Im going to install a new Debian Lenny and im planning to do this:
>
> Disk 1 (10GB)
> /boot
> swap
> /tmp
> /home (it's going to be a server without GUI so, im not going to use
> /home too much)
>
> Disk 2 (40GB)
> /usr
> /var
> / (root)
>
> This server is going to have: LDAP, apache, php, DHCP (probably),
> postgre (maybe) and gosa
>
> any suggestion are welcome!

Just my 5 Cents:
Hard to say, as you didn't clarify what it is going to be used for.
- try to separate system-partitions and non-system-partions by disk (I
got this hint from SUN's good old Solaris 9 handbook - and it proved to
be right at a dozen times)
- /boot and / on two different disks tend to cause all sorts of
unexpected trouble. It might be perfectly legal but it's a matter of
time until some [kernel|grub|[mk]initramfs] upgrade, faulty hardware,
BIOS-whatever, or scrambled partition numbers will mess it up. Even more
if SCSI-controllers or multiboot involved.
- LVM is actually a good choice - but you should be aware that it also
creates another layer of abstraction (say: "trouble") if you have to
recover from the unexpected. So you might at least want to avoid
spanning LVs over drive borders.
- Taking in account that /boot needs to be just some 100MB I would
definitely keep it on the same drive as /, /var and if by any chance
possible /usr. You still will be able to boot without swap or without
/tmp. Without /var or /usr it will be a lot harder.