From: Germana Oliveira on
Hello!

Im going to install a new Debian Lenny and im planning to do this:

Disk 1 (10GB)
/boot
swap
/tmp
/home (it's going to be a server without GUI so, im not going to use
/home too much)

Disk 2 (40GB)
/usr
/var
/ (root)

This server is going to have: LDAP, apache, php, DHCP (probably),
postgre (maybe) and gosa

any suggestion are welcome!

--
B.O.G
bog(a)jabberes.org

http://626f67.wordpress.com
http://slcarabobo.wordpress.com

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me dozens of times, I'm an Apple customer."

Germana Oliveira:

> any suggestion are welcome!

I won't comment on your disk layout, but just one hint: you should
absolutely use LVM. It is nothing more than an abstraction layer between
your disks/partitions and the filesystems, but offers a lot of
flexibility. If after one year you recognize that today's decision about
the partition layout aren't optimal anymore, LVM makes it really easy to
extend your filesystems.

J.
--
I have never been happier than I am now; a fact which depresses me
immensely.
From: IƱigo Tejedor Arrondo on
2010/6/11 Germana Oliveira <germanaoliveirab(a)gmail.com>:
> Hello!
>
> Im going to install a new Debian Lenny and im planning to do this:
>
> Disk 1 (10GB)
> /boot
> swap
> /tmp
> /home (it's going to be a server without GUI so, im not going to use
> /home too much)
>
> Disk 2 (40GB)
> /usr
> /var
> / (root)
>
> This server is going to have: LDAP, apache, php, DHCP (probably),
> postgre (maybe) and gosa
>
> any suggestion are welcome!

Don't forget to implement external backups for data.

If users are going to have shell, keep in mind quota configuration
(also they can writte out of $HOME (i.e. /tmp, /var/tmp, etc...)

With many services in only one server, LVM is a good base for partitions.

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 06:47:49AM +1930, Germana Oliveira wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Im going to install a new Debian Lenny and im planning to do this:
>
> Disk 1 (10GB)
> /boot
> swap
> /tmp
> /home (it's going to be a server without GUI so, im not going to use
> /home too much)
>
> Disk 2 (40GB)
> /usr
> /var
> / (root)

I second the opinion about using LVM. You could also consider
using RAID1 over 1GB of both disks:

Create /dev/sda1 (10GB, total disk) and /dev/sdbn (10GB, partition)
and set these up as partitions for RAID. You can then use that as
/dev/md0 directly, or run LVM on top of that. You could also then
just have a /boot and put the rest of the disk in a second LVM VG:

sda:
sda1 10G RAID

sdb:
sdb1: 250M /boot
sdb2: 10G RAID
sdb3: 30G PV

You can then use the 30G PV for swap, and any other filesystems
which are less important, and use the 10G for more important
stuff which needs to be stored more safely. It will give you
more flexibility than static partition layouts can. You could
also use GPT partitions rather than DOS MBR.

Regards,
Roger

--
.''`. Roger Leigh
From: Stephen Powell on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 08:56:15 -0400 (EDT), Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 06:47:49AM +1930, Germana Oliveira wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Im going to install a new Debian Lenny and im planning to do this:
>>
>> Disk 1 (10GB)
>> /boot
>> swap
>> /tmp
>> /home (it's going to be a server without GUI so, im not going to use
>> /home too much)
>>
>> Disk 2 (40GB)
>> /usr
>> /var
>> / (root)
>
> I second the opinion about using LVM. You could also consider
> using RAID1 over 1GB of both disks:

I use LVM too, but not for that purpose. I use LVM to combine multiple
physical volumes into a single logical volume. For example, on the
s390 architecture, a 3390-3 DASD volume is about 2.2G. If I want
a file system larger than 2.2G, I have to use LVM and add multiple
DASD volumes to a single logical volume. So far, I have been able
to use programs such as partman from the Debian installer to resize
physical partitions without too much trouble and without data loss,
though I must admit that I haven't done it in a while.

Also, I'm not sure that I'd put /boot and / on different physical
disks. That means that if *either* disk fails you can't boot, not
even into single user mode.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :