From: Arthur Machlas on
First, regarding my earlier email, which I cannot reply to directly
(apologies), as it has been downloaded off of gmail, I *think* I've
gotten the ordering to work correctly.

I changed my lsb header in the custom script (/etc/init.d/phc_vids) to:
# Require-start: $acpi

Then under /etc/insserv.conf I added the following line:
$acpi +cpufrequtils +loadcpufreq

Then ran:
dpkg-reconfigure insserv

And the warning messages were gone about not being able to apply
custom vids because the cpufreq directories hadn't been created yet.
Also, checking the status using:
/etc/init.d/phc_vids status

Showed the correct values had been applied.

All well and good. Unfortunately, I don't really understand what I've
done. I was following the directions from the Debian LSB/insserv wiki,
where I learned it is no longer possible to disable/uninstall insserv
on Squeeze, so the tips I'd read on manually re-ordering the scripts
by changing the numbers would no longer work. E.g., this doesn't work,
or at least, not for long: $ mv /etc/rc2.d/S01phc_vids
/etc/rc2.d/S03phc_vids

Second, there are two ways, or so it seems, to enable concurrent boot.
I.e., starting scripts in parallel. One method says to use
CONCURRENCY=shell, and the other says CONCURRENCY=startpar

This is under /etc/default/rcS

Which is correct or do both do the same thing?

Many thanks,
Arthur

On 2010-06-09 16:48 +0200, Arthur Machlas wrote:

> I changed my lsb header in the custom script (/etc/init.d/phc_vids) to:
> # Require-start: $acpi
>
> Then under /etc/insserv.conf I added the following line:
> $acpi +cpufrequtils +loadcpufreq
>
> Then ran:
> dpkg-reconfigure insserv

This is a no-op in Squeeze, you want to run the "insserv" command so
that the order of the symlinks in rc?.d is changed to reflect the
changed dependencies.

> All well and good. Unfortunately, I don't really understand what I've
> done. I was following the directions from the Debian LSB/insserv wiki,
> where I learned it is no longer possible to disable/uninstall insserv
> on Squeeze, so the tips I'd read on manually re-ordering the scripts
> by changing the numbers would no longer work. E.g., this doesn't work,
> or at least, not for long: $ mv /etc/rc2.d/S01phc_vids
> /etc/rc2.d/S03phc_vids

This will only last until the next insserv run, e.g. when a package
containing an init script is installed, removed or upgraded. The
correct method to rearrange the boot order is to change the LSB headers,
as you did.

> Second, there are two ways, or so it seems, to enable concurrent boot.
> I.e., starting scripts in parallel.

Concurrent boot is the default nowadays.

> One method says to use
> CONCURRENCY=shell, and the other says CONCURRENCY=startpar

Both are obsolete aliases for CONCURRENCY=makefile (the default).

Sven

>On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-06-09 16:48 +0200, Arthur Machlas wrote:
>>
>> Then ran:
>> dpkg-reconfigure insserv
>
> This is a no-op in Squeeze, you want to run the "insserv" command so
> that the order of the symlinks in rc?.d is changed to reflect the
> changed dependencies.

You're right. I ran insserv and the numbering changed as appropriate.
Previously both loadcpufreq and phc_vids were s02, I guess I just got
lucky in that loadcpufreq was done before phc_vids, but now I
shouldn't have to worry about getting lucky on reboot. That sounds
vaguely innapropriate, but I hope you get the meaning.

>> Second, there are two ways, or so it seems, to enable concurrent boot.
>> I.e., starting scripts in parallel.
>
> Concurrent boot is the default nowadays.
>
>> One method says to use
>> CONCURRENCY=shell, and the other says CONCURRENCY=startpar
>
> Both are obsolete aliases for CONCURRENCY=makefile (the default).

So should I just delete my CONCURRENCY addition to the /etc/defaul/rcS
file and it will return to default, or should I switch it to makefile?

Thanks for the informative reply.

> So should I just delete my CONCURRENCY addition to the /etc/defaul/rcS
> file and it will return to default, or should I switch it to makefile?

Nevermind. I just removed the line and can see in my bootlogs that
runelevel S and 2 both use "makefile-syle concurrent boot"

Cheers,

On 2010-06-09 17:38 +0200, Arthur Machlas wrote:

> So should I just delete my CONCURRENCY addition to the /etc/defaul/rcS
> file and it will return to default, or should I switch it to makefile?

Both will work. I just removed it entirely, since the setting is not
really official (i.e. not mentioned in rcS(5)) and might change at some
future point, or dropped completely.

Sven