From: joe on
I would like to add the following customizations to my Debian system. I'm
wondering if anyone
knows of any already-existing projects for any of the tools I want.

archive tool:
expands an archive somewhere under /var and creates a rw empty
overlay somewhere
under /home and the union is available via autofs

download tool:
uses a download directory somewhere under /var until it is
determined that the file is
no longer available from the source, at which point it promotes it
to /home. Use unionfs
to make the actual location unimportant. Should work with common
download options:
wget, firefox, youtube-dl, rtorrent

perhaps a script should be kept under /home to retrieve absent
downloads in a restored
/home or maybe just keep a list of URIs for absent downloads

usb key tool:
usb key to authenticate user. User may quickly pull out the usb key
which will lock his
desktop and chroot into guest mode to let a friend use the internet.

autofs should mount usb disks as read only and gracefully handle
instant removal.
user should have ability to switch to read-write and use unmount.

ifupdown applet:
GUI interface to ifupdown that is indistinguishable (apart from
configuration) from the
network-manager applet, including all animations.