From: Dotan Cohen on
As my typing speed increases I find that I am sometimes hittin keyboad
shortcuts that I don't mean to, and I have no idea what I have done or
how to undo it. For instance, just now I accidentally closed Firefox,
and I most certainly did not hit Alt-F4 nor close the last tab
(actually 4 tabs are open). I use Vimperator so maybe I hit Q but I
was typing in a textarea so I doubt that was the case.

Is there a personal keylogger that I could install to see what I am
hitting? Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:51:57 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

(...)

> Is there a personal keylogger that I could install to see what I am
> hitting? Thanks.

There is LKL¹, but seems to be only available for 32 bits:

***
userspace keylogger for x86 architecture

LKL is a userspace keylogger that runs under Linux on the x86
architechture. LKL sniffs and logs everything that passes through the
hardware keyboard port (0x60). It translates keycodes to ASCII with a
keymap file.
***

¹ http://packages.debian.org/lenny/lkl

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

> There is LKL¹, but seems to be only available for 32 bits:
>
> ***
> userspace keylogger for x86 architecture
>
> LKL is a userspace keylogger that runs under Linux on the x86
> architechture. LKL sniffs and logs everything that passes through the
> hardware keyboard port (0x60). It translates keycodes to ASCII with a
> keymap file.
> ***
>
> ¹ http://packages.debian.org/lenny/lkl

Thanks, Camaleón, I am on a 32 bit install so this fits. Installing as we speak!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

It looks like LKL doesn't work. Although it runs, it does not produce
an output file. In online forums I see much mention of other people
who cannot get it to work, yet no solutions. It might be that I am
selecting the wrong keymap, how can I know which keymap I am currently
using? Thanks!

dotancohen(a)dcl:~$ sudo lkl -l -k '/usr/share/lkl/keymaps/us_km' -o
/home/dotancohen/keylog
Started to log port 0x60. Keymap is /usr/share/lkl/keymaps/us_km. The
logfile is /home/dotancohen/keylog.
^[c
^C
dotancohen(a)dcl:~$ ls
inOut
music
dotancohen(a)dcl:~$

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 11:08:47 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> It looks like LKL doesn't work.

After a bit digging, it seems in fact to be a faulty package:

lkl: not fit for release

Sorry, I did not look further before recommending it O:-)

OTOH, it looks like there is not replacement for that utility :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón