From: peasthope on
Stephen,

* Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:46:40 -0400 (EDT)
* Subject: Re: why does linux image try to use grub ?
> I suggest that you look at
> "Step 10: Customize the kernel installation process" on the following
> web page: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.

Thanks for the explanations and the excellent
document about creating a custom kernel. If
only more documentation were this complete
and thorough.

Past experience is that an intended straightforward
repair can easily turn out to be a significant
project. So my preference in this case is
to reinstall Lenny on the IBM NetVista or
to wait for grub-pc to be fixed.

Without grub-pc installed, I can not read
/usr/share/doc/grub-pc/NEWS* . Has anyone found
that a problem with grub-pc from a few months
back has been repaired? Has the time come
to reinstall grub-pc?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop".
In ETHNO click here -> Desktops.OpenDoc "http://carnot.yi.org/".

On Monday 10 May 2010 15:57:02 peasthope(a)shaw.ca wrote:
> > [update-grub] is not a bug. The maintainer script for the
> > new kernel image package is trying to run update-grub because it is
> > being told to do so by entries in /etc/kernel-img.conf.
>
> Past experience is that an intended straightforward
> repair can easily turn out to be a significant
> project. So my preference in this case is
> to reinstall Lenny on the IBM NetVista or
> to wait for grub-pc to be fixed.
>
> Without grub-pc installed, I can not read
> /usr/share/doc/grub-pc/NEWS* . Has anyone found
> that a problem with grub-pc from a few months
> back has been repaired? Has the time come
> to reinstall grub-pc?

What was the problem? In the text you quoted, there was no reasonable change
that could be made to grub-pc to address the issue; your /etc/kernel-img.conf
needed fixing. I suppose a re-install might fix it, too. But, that seems
inefficient compared to editing a text file.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))