From: Germana Oliveira on
Hi!

i'm trying to manage my network printer from cups.

printer: ImageRunner 4570
OS: Debian Lenny
Driver: Canon iR3570/iR4570 UFR II ver.2.0

this printer have the 'Department ID' feature active, so it should ask me
for my ID and password when i try to print, instead, it send the job but
never get to the printer output.

I could not even print a test page.
What am i doing wrong???

Thanks!

--
Germana Oliveira

http://626f67.wordpress.com
http://slcarabobo.wordpress.com

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me dozens of times, I'm an Apple
customer."
From: deloptes on
Germana Oliveira wrote:

> Hi!
>
> i'm trying to manage my network printer from cups.
>
> printer: ImageRunner 4570
> OS: Debian Lenny
> Driver: Canon iR3570/iR4570 UFR II ver.2.0
>
> this printer have the 'Department ID' feature active, so it should ask me
> for my ID and password when i try to print, instead, it send the job but
> never get to the printer output.
>
> I could not even print a test page.
> What am i doing wrong???

good question

On Tue, 11 May 2010 15:22:32 +1930, Germana Oliveira wrote:

> i'm trying to manage my network printer from cups.
>
> printer: ImageRunner 4570
> OS: Debian Lenny
> Driver: Canon iR3570/iR4570 UFR II ver.2.0

You mean your printer is configured into a Debian box with CUPS and
windows clients are printing through CUPS?

> this printer have the 'Department ID' feature active, so it should ask
> me for my ID and password when i try to print, instead, it send the job
> but never get to the printer output.
>
> I could not even print a test page.
> What am i doing wrong???

I'm not sure whether CUPS is capable of supporting such authenticating
features, but if you think yes, review the CUPs logs under "/var/log/cups/
error.log" to check what's going on with sent jobs.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2010 15:22:32 +1930, Germana Oliveira wrote:
>
>> i'm trying to manage my network printer from cups.
>>
>> printer: ImageRunner 4570
>> OS: Debian Lenny
>> Driver: Canon iR3570/iR4570 UFR II ver.2.0
>
> You mean your printer is configured into a Debian box with CUPS and
> windows clients are printing through CUPS?
>
>> this printer have the 'Department ID' feature active, so it should ask
>> me for my ID and password when i try to print, instead, it send the job
>> but never get to the printer output.
>>
>> I could not even print a test page.
>> What am i doing wrong???
>
> I'm not sure whether CUPS is capable of supporting such authenticating
> features, but if you think yes, review the CUPs logs under "/var/log/cups/
> error.log" to check what's going on with sent jobs.
>
> Greetings,

Cups supports authentication if you ask it to.
Also apps like kprinter or gnome-print do.

The guy should give more information and more specific questions, as we are
not allmighty and allknowing. Also I think that there are quite a lot of
guides in the net - thus my funny question - and he/she even did not write
back

regards

On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:13:01 +0200, deloptes wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure whether CUPS is capable of supporting such authenticating
>> features, but if you think yes, review the CUPs logs under
>> "/var/log/cups/ error.log" to check what's going on with sent jobs.
>>

> Cups supports authentication if you ask it to. Also apps like kprinter
> or gnome-print do.

Yes, but I guess not the type of auth he has in mind.

Big multifunction machines implements their own type of security for job
handling but AFAIK such features only work with windows drivers and when
printing directly to the printer, not using CUPS inbetween :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón