From: Curt Howland on

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:30:27 +0200
James Stuckey <jhstuckey(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been using linux (debian) for about a year now, and although I'm
> no longer scared of the command line I would like to do a little
> reading/studying of linux to get a better understanding of some of
> the more advanced topics, or to see if I have learned a lot of the
> things that might be taught in a university-linux/UNIX course. I'm
> sure that there is a lot of stuff that I've missed by just going at
> it with trial and error. Perhaps there are some online courses posted
> to youtube, or a few books that someone might like to recommend? I
> would be interested to know what types of things one must learn to
> get "linux-certification" (I presume there is such a thing).
>
> Regards,
> James

I found rutebook beneficial. It is available in the debian
repositories as well as online.

--
Tom Ashley

On Mon, Apr 26 at 17:01, Curt Howland penned:

> On Monday 26 April 2010, James Stuckey <jhstuckey(a)gmail.com> was
> heard to say:
> > I would like to do a little reading/studying of linux to get a
> > better understanding of some of the more advanced topics, or to
> > see if I have learned a lot of the things that might be taught in
> > a university-linux/UNIX course.
>
> Install Sid (Debian Unstable) and maintain it over the course of a
> few years.
>
> Debian administration, one random problem at a time. :^)
>
> That's how I did it.

This gets my vote. I did take a systems programming class that guided
me into reading man pages, but that was about it*. A Linux/Unix class
sounds more vocational than conceptual (but I have antiquated notions
about the purpose of college/university courses).

They used to say - you're not a real linux admin until you've
completely borked your system and had to wipe and reinstall from
scratch at least once. Not too long ago, I was at an office supply
store wearing a tee shirt with a Linus quote. The quote was something
like, "The linux motto is 'live dangerously.' No, no - 'Do it
yourself.' That's it." Anyway, the clerk at the store enthused to me
about Debian, but was baffled by the quote. This is when I realized
that linux really had become user friendly (for some values of
"user"), and I wasn't entirely sure I was happy about it =P

* Not that I'm a sysadmin per se. I run a debian headless server for
my own purposes, so there are certainly large gaping holes in my
knowledge, but I like to think that I could do whatever I wanted to
with the system if I were sufficiently motivated.

--
monique

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> They used to say - you're not a real linux admin until you've
> completely borked your system and had to wipe and reinstall from
> scratch at least once.

And then recover all your user data, from your hopefully good backup.
It gets really entertaining when a RAID array fails in an odd way. (I
still cringe about how I learned that md software raid does not always
kick bad disks out of an array - if a drive is going bad, and just takes
lots of tries to read data, everything just slows waaa....aaaay down.
And then unraveling logical volumes on top of software raid can get very
interesting.) You learn a lot from such experiences. Sigh....

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

On 04/26/2010 08:59 PM, thib wrote:
> Can't miss the Debian Reference by Osamu Aoki (青木 修):
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#quick-reference
>
> It covers a lot of topics and provides up-to-date pointers to other
> resources.
>
> -thib

Yes it is really great and you can apt-get'it!
apt-get debian-reference-en

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic