From: Benedict Verheyen on
Hi,

i'm using Debian stable on a Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop with an azerty
keyboard layout (Belgian period) and when i use the Citrix client (v11),
it doesn't translate all the key combinations correctly.
I cannot use an umlaut with a small caps letter, it automatically makes
the small letter a capital letter with an umlaut. It however works in the
console and in an xterm, but not when i'm in citrix.

If i change the keyboard layout to Dutch in the Citrix settings, then i'm able
to use the umlaut key correctly. When dealing with Citrix i usually specify
that the keyboard layout is specified in the User Profile, that's a Citrix option.
I tried specifying it as Belgian Dutch but that doesn't work.
The locale is "nl_BE.UTF-8"

It's a rather annoying problem as i want to install Debian on all the old
laptops we have and this is holding the conversion back.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Benedict

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:38:32 +0200, Benedict Verheyen wrote:

> i'm using Debian stable on a Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop with an
> azerty keyboard layout (Belgian period) and when i use the Citrix client
> (v11), it doesn't translate all the key combinations correctly. I cannot
> use an umlaut with a small caps letter, it automatically makes the small
> letter a capital letter with an umlaut. It however works in the console
> and in an xterm, but not when i'm in citrix.

(...)

I know nothing about Citrix client O:-), but found this forum thread:

***
french keyboard layout Problem using german characters
http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=252710&tstart=0
***

Using the same client version (v11) and having a same (similar?) issue.
The only difference is that the user seems to be using a windows version
of the Citrix client.

Have you checked if there is a newer version of the Citrix client? :-?

Also, in this¹ FAQ says:

***
Incorrect keystrokes are displayed when I use the keyboard

If you are using a non-English language keyboard, the screen display may
not match the keyboard input. In this case, you should specify the
keyboard type and layout that you are using. For more information about
specifying keyboards, see Configuring Keyboard Options, Alert Sounds, and
Digital Dictation Support.
***

¹ <http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topic/receiver-linux-blackfoot/
linux-troubleshooting-known-issues-display.html>

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 27/04/2010 21:18, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:38:32 +0200, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
<snip>

> I know nothing about Citrix client O:-), but found this forum thread:
>
> ***
> french keyboard layout Problem using german characters
> http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=252710&tstart=0
> ***
>
> Using the same client version (v11) and having a same (similar?) issue.
> The only difference is that the user seems to be using a windows version
> of the Citrix client.
>
> Have you checked if there is a newer version of the Citrix client? :-?
>
> Also, in this¹ FAQ says:
>
> ***
> Incorrect keystrokes are displayed when I use the keyboard
>
> If you are using a non-English language keyboard, the screen display may
> not match the keyboard input. In this case, you should specify the
> keyboard type and layout that you are using. For more information about
> specifying keyboards, see Configuring Keyboard Options, Alert Sounds, and
> Digital Dictation Support.
> ***
>
> ¹<http://support.citrix.com/proddocs/topic/receiver-linux-blackfoot/
> linux-troubleshooting-known-issues-display.html>
>
> Greetings,

Thanks for the info.
It's a client setting allright. I tried setting the keyboard layout but
that doesn't work. I think the keyboard mapping (kbd file) isn't correct.
Anyway, from Windows, i don't have that problem.

On Ubuntu, the situation is better, the native client has the same problem
but when i try via the Citrix webinterface, then it works !

When i try the webinterface from Debian, that still doesn't work.
If the Citrix webinterface works from Ubuntu, i should be able to fix it in Debian too.

Regards,
Benedict

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:35:51 +0200, Benedict Verheyen wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
> It's a client setting allright. I tried setting the keyboard layout but
> that doesn't work. I think the keyboard mapping (kbd file) isn't
> correct. Anyway, from Windows, i don't have that problem.

Curious...

> On Ubuntu, the situation is better, the native client has the same
> problem but when i try via the Citrix webinterface, then it works !

Mmm... is a java client?

> When i try the webinterface from Debian, that still doesn't work. If the
> Citrix webinterface works from Ubuntu, i should be able to fix it in
> Debian too.

Sure, if you are using the same client version (same package, coming from
the same download site) it should also work in Debian.

Compare the settings in both programs (they should be stored anywere
under your user's profile).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 28/04/2010 11:00, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:35:51 +0200, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info.
>> It's a client setting allright. I tried setting the keyboard layout but
>> that doesn't work. I think the keyboard mapping (kbd file) isn't
>> correct. Anyway, from Windows, i don't have that problem.
>
> Curious...
>
>> On Ubuntu, the situation is better, the native client has the same
>> problem but when i try via the Citrix webinterface, then it works !
>
> Mmm... is a java client?
>
>> When i try the webinterface from Debian, that still doesn't work. If the
>> Citrix webinterface works from Ubuntu, i should be able to fix it in
>> Debian too.
>
> Sure, if you are using the same client version (same package, coming from
> the same download site) it should also work in Debian.
>
> Compare the settings in both programs (they should be stored anywere
> under your user's profile).
>
> Greetings,

It's a weird problem. I installed gnome as to have the same environment
as the ubuntu machine. On both machines, using the native client directly
produces the wrong umlaut output.

If i use the webinterface of Citrix, he then also refers to the native client
but then it works on Ubuntu (firefox).
When i try the same on Debian (iceweasel), it still doesn't work.
All settings are the same.
My search continues :)

Regards,
Benedict