From: AG on
On 30/05/10 12:44, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
>> On Sun,30.May.10, 09:28:11, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>

>> Xfce has an option to start Gnome and/or KDE services at startup. Maybe
>> Gnome has something similar?
>>

> I do not know. I've just tried to find such an option by Googling, but I
> could not find any such option.

Merciadri, I think that the closest you will come to this under GNOME is
to do the following:

On the panel options, go to System/ Administration and then Services.
This will allow you to identify those services you want available to you
at start up. Not quite the same as the Xfce4 option Andrei mentioned,
but as close as you are likely to get with GNOME.

HTH ... a bit at least

AG

AG wrote:
> Merciadri, I think that the closest you will come to this under GNOME
> is to do the following:
>
> On the panel options, go to System/ Administration and then Services.
> This will allow you to identify those services you want available to
> you at start up. Not quite the same as the Xfce4 option Andrei
> mentioned, but as close as you are likely to get with GNOME.
Nice idea, but all the listed services (winbind, anacron, atd,
alsa-utils, nfs-kernel-server, samba, gdm, smartmontools, exim4,
fetchmail, avahi-daemon, acpid, rsync, ssh, dbus, apache2) are already
activated. :-(

P.S.: My surname is actually `Luca' but that does not matter. This is my
fault: I misconfigured the client some years ago, and then, to be
logical with my error, I kept with it.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: David Jardine on
On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 04:00:39PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> P.S.: My surname is actually `Luca' but that does not matter. This is my
> fault: I misconfigured the client some years ago, and then, to be
> logical with my error, I kept with it.

Are you sure you mean "surname" (= family name)?

David

On 05/30/2010 04:44 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> On Sun,30.May.10, 09:28:11, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>

>> Xfce has an option to start Gnome and/or KDE services at startup. Maybe
>> Gnome has something similar?
>>
> I do not know. I've just tried to find such an option by Googling, but I
> could not find any such option.

I don't recall, offhand, and don't have access to a Gnome system to
check, but I think Gnome has an "auto start" function, similar to KDE's
using $HOME/.kde/Autostart to run apps you want available when you login.

Perhaps you could start a terminal, run the KDE app in the background
and do a ps to get the KDE related support services listed. You could
add these to the auto start list.

The only thing I don't know is if these 'support services' can start
stand alone or if a front end KDE app. is needed.

If this does work but things are still too slow, you might add a local
rc startup script in /etc/{init.d,rc2.d} to start the services at boot time.

None of this is tested, just some thoughts on alternate ways to get
things going.

--
Bob McGowan

Bob McGowan wrote:
> On 05/30/2010 04:44 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun,30.May.10, 09:28:11, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>>

>>> Xfce has an option to start Gnome and/or KDE services at startup. Maybe
>>> Gnome has something similar?
>>>

>> I do not know. I've just tried to find such an option by Googling, but I
>> could not find any such option.
>>

> I don't recall, offhand, and don't have access to a Gnome system to
> check, but I think Gnome has an "auto start" function, similar to KDE's
> using $HOME/.kde/Autostart to run apps you want available when you login.
>
> Perhaps you could start a terminal, run the KDE app in the background
> and do a ps to get the KDE related support services listed. You could
> add these to the auto start list.
>
> The only thing I don't know is if these 'support services' can start
> stand alone or if a front end KDE app. is needed.
>
> If this does work but things are still too slow, you might add a local
> rc startup script in /etc/{init.d,rc2.d} to start the services at boot time.
>
> None of this is tested, just some thoughts on alternate ways to get
> things going.

Yes, but why not.

$ ps -el | grep kde
1 S 1000 4042 1 0 80 0 - 6385 - ? 00:00:00 kdeinit
1 S 1000 4050 1 0 80 0 - 8178 - ? 00:00:10 kded

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

The difference between friendship and love is how much you can hurt each
other. (Ashleigh Brilliant)