From: Merciadri Luca on
Hi,

I have noticed that running KDE apps under GNOME takes a lot of time
once I have not launched any such apps since the beginning of the
session. I do not use a lot of KDE apps, but I prefer e.g. Kile to
TexMaker. Is that a crime? Is it engineered to be well-supported, or is
it simply a matter of coincidence?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Michael Kjorling on
On May 29 2010 22:53 +0200, from Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be (Merciadri Luca):
> I have noticed that running KDE apps under GNOME takes a lot of time
> once I have not launched any such apps since the beginning of the
> session.

I believe this is normal. If you run the KDE application from within a
terminal, you should see a lot of support services being started
before the application actually launches.

--
Michael Kjörling .. michael(a)kjorling.se .. http://michael.kjorling.se
* ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *

From: Merciadri Luca on

On Sun,30.May.10, 09:28:11, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Michael Kjorling <michael(a)kjorling.se> writes:
>
> > On May 29 2010 22:53 +0200, from Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be (Merciadri Luca):
> >> I have noticed that running KDE apps under GNOME takes a lot of time
> >> once I have not launched any such apps since the beginning of the
> >> session.
> >
> > I believe this is normal. If you run the KDE application from within a
> > terminal, you should see a lot of support services being started
> > before the application actually launches.
> Yes. That's true. And can I make the whole process quicker?

Xfce has an option to start Gnome and/or KDE services at startup. Maybe
Gnome has something similar?

Regards,
Andrei
Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sun,30.May.10, 09:28:11, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

> Xfce has an option to start Gnome and/or KDE services at startup. Maybe
> Gnome has something similar?

I do not know. I've just tried to find such an option by Googling, but I
could not find any such option.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live
forever. (Mahatma Gandhi)