From: Hendrik Boom on
I'm using scim, anthy (and there was another package; I forget its name)
to enable myself to switch between Japanese and ordinary US Emglish input
methids using control-space.

But I'd like also the be able to switch in a French input method --
something that treats the accents as dead keys would be fine when I'm
typing French, but not otherwise. So, having a third input method for
control-space to switch between would seem to be ideal.

But I can't figure out how to set that up. (currently running Debian
squeeze on an Asus 1000HE.)

-- hendrik

..

Le Fri, 14 May 2010 02:31:58 +0000 (UTC),
Hendrik Boom <hendrik(a)topoi.pooq.com> a écrit :

> I'm using scim, anthy
[...]
> I'd like also the be able to switch in a French input method
[...]
> But I can't figure out how to set that up. (currently running Debian
> squeeze on an Asus 1000HE.)

Hi,

You probably need to reconfigure scim (by GUI configuration tool
provided) and if not sufficient, maybe install (if not already
installed) one or more of these packages: scim-m17n,
scim-tables-additional, scim-uim and reconfigure scim.

On Fri, 14 May 2010 08:56:00 +0200, didier gaumet wrote:

> Le Fri, 14 May 2010 02:31:58 +0000 (UTC), Hendrik Boom
> <hendrik(a)topoi.pooq.com> a écrit :
>
>> I'm using scim, anthy
> [...]
>> I'd like also the be able to switch in a French input method
> [...]
>> But I can't figure out how to set that up. (currently running Debian
>> squeeze on an Asus 1000HE.)
>
> Hi,
>
> You probably need to reconfigure scim (by GUI configuration tool
> provided) and if not sufficient, maybe install (if not already
> installed) one or more of these packages: scim-m17n,
> scim-tables-additional, scim-uim and reconfigure scim.

Added those packages. Their decriptions didn't suggest that they would
help, but in the hope that they might work, I installed them.

After that, reconfiguring scim using my configuration tool (via the
system->preferences->SCIM input Method Setup menu item) I could find
nothing relevant. I'm not interested in setting it to an azerty keyboard
-- mine is clearly a qwerty. All I really want is for circumflex,
apostrophe, backward apostrophe, quote, and perhaps comma to turn into
dead keys so I can put accents on letters.

Any other ideas?

-- hendrik

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 14:42, Hendrik Boom <hendrik(a)topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

<snip>
> All I really want is for circumflex,
> apostrophe, backward apostrophe, quote, and perhaps comma to turn into
> dead keys so I can put accents on letters.
>
> Any other ideas?

I think what you really need is one of the US international keyboard layouts
or possibly just a compose key. IMs are mostly for complicated stuff, like CJK
and some southeast Asian languages

in /etc/default/keyboard

XKBMODEL="pc104"
XKBLAYOUT="us"

XKBVARIANT="intl"
or
XKBVARIANT="alt-intl"
or
XKBVARIANT="altgr-intl"

intl mostly gives you extra characters that you can type with "altgr"
(right alt),

I haven't used alt-intl or altgr-intl myself, but I think it goes like this:

alt-intl is deadkey oriented, meaning you type things like <doublequote><a>
to get ä. To get just " you would type <doublequote><space><space>

"altgr-intl" I believe gets you dead keys that are triggered only when you
press the <altgr> and the would-be deadkey. This is somewhat(?) similar to
using XKBOPTIONS="compose:altgr" without a layout variant.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers