From: Ron Johnson on
On 07/15/2010 11:05 AM, H.S. wrote:

> I have a couple of hard disks in a computer which is to be recycled. I
> want the windows OS in it to remain functional, but I want to be sure
> that I have deleted all my personal files securely (never used the OS
> that much anyway and there is hardly any important info in its registry
> or browser). There are a number of documents that were deleted in
> Windows the usual way (Shift+del) and I just want to make them
> unrecoverable.

Aren't you askig the wrong list?

--
Seek truth from facts.

On 10-07-16 12:00 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Aren't you askig the wrong list?

The filesystem is vfat, files are being deleted from within Linux using
Linux tools and the partition just happens to be a Windows installation*
but could be any generic storage device. So, no.

I presume you are implying that I ask on a Windows list. Please correct
me if I am wrong. If I am not, it would be the wrong list to ask about
using dd to delete files, unless dd is developed, or at least also being
supported, by MS.

* yes, I am aware of the OS holding some information. But if you read my
original post (and the one after that) carefully, the scope of the
security is quite limited.

On 07/16/2010 11:10 AM, H.S. wrote:
> On 10-07-16 12:00 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Aren't you askig the wrong list?
>>

> The filesystem is vfat, files are being deleted from within Linux using
> Linux tools and the partition just happens to be a Windows installation*
> but could be any generic storage device. So, no.
>
> I presume you are implying that I ask on a Windows list. Please correct
> me if I am wrong. If I am not, it would be the wrong list to ask about
> using dd to delete files, unless dd is developed, or at least also being
> supported, by MS.

I don't think you can of= just the "empty" parts of your partition.

Attached is a Python script I use to "zero" out the free space of a
mounted partition.

--
Seek truth from facts.
From: H.S. on
On 16/07/10 01:01 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> I don't think you can of= just the "empty" parts of your partition.
>
> Attached is a Python script I use to "zero" out the free space of a
> mounted partition.

Thanks for the script. You are basically writing 0xFF to the available
disk space. I used to have a C program which just did a similar thing,
writing 0x00 to a new file till the disk was full (or almost full). I
just deleted that file after I ran the program. This helped to compress
an image of the disk (using dd) quite nicely since all zeros give a
better compression ratio.

Having said that, why would dd not work the same way when I am writing
to a file using "of" on the partition in question?

ever having been read.

On 07/16/2010 12:38 PM, H.S. wrote:
> On 16/07/10 01:01 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>> I don't think you can of= just the "empty" parts of your partition.
>>
>> Attached is a Python script I use to "zero" out the free space of a
>> mounted partition.
>>

> Thanks for the script. You are basically writing 0xFF to the available
> disk space. I used to have a C program which just did a similar thing,
> writing 0x00 to a new file till the disk was full (or almost full). I
> just deleted that file after I ran the program. This helped to compress
> an image of the disk (using dd) quite nicely since all zeros give a
> better compression ratio.
>
> Having said that, why would dd not work the same way when I am writing
> to a file using "of" on the partition in question?

Yeah, I guess you could write a bash script to:
1. determine the amount of free space.
2. Divide that by some efficient block size.
3. dd if=/dev/urandom of=${VFAT}/foo.bar \
obs=${BLKSIZ} count=${BLKCNT}

--
Seek truth from facts.