From: Mark on
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 9:10 AM, H.S. <hs.samix(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10-07-16 12:00 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
>

>> Aren't you askig the wrong list?
>>

> The filesystem is vfat, files are being deleted from within Linux using
> Linux tools and the partition just happens to be a Windows installation* but
> could be any generic storage device. So, no.
>
> I presume you are implying that I ask on a Windows list. Please correct me
> if I am wrong. If I am not, it would be the wrong list to ask about using dd
> to delete files, unless dd is developed, or at least also being supported,
> by MS.
>
> * yes, I am aware of the OS holding some information. But if you read my
> original post (and the one after that) carefully, the scope of the security
> is quite limited.

Not to oversimplify the situation, but focusing on the OP's original post,
why not boot to Windows, run the Eraser program (licensed under the GNU GPL)
and zero all blank space on the disk? You create your own "zeros" method,
with one write of zeros to the free disk space, and you can even include
cluster tips for removal. If you're running XP, I'd recommend version 5.7x
or 5.8x as their new 6x versions are drastically different.

Just my $0.02, keep the change.
From: Christian Jaeger on
Why calculate the sizes when you can just use cat until it stops
because the disk is full?

cat /dev/zero > /mnt/yourfilesystem/thebigfile

BTW don't forget to proberly umount /mnt/yourfilesystem afterwards, of
course, to force a sync. (Just in case there might be a file system
that doesn't send the data immediately to the block device, you might
want to umount right after filling the disk, *before* removing the
file.)

Ch.

PS. and I personally would:

- either write a program that scans the partition for known fragments
of the files you want to be gone (perl with Sys::Mmap is an efficient
choice) to verify;
- or backup all good files from the partition, then overwriting the
block device, recreate the partition and copy the files back. You just
have to double check whether no Windows metadata is lost this way, I
don't know.

Christian.