From: H.S. on
On 16/07/10 02:03 PM, Mark wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 9:10 AM, H.S.<hs.samix(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10-07-16 12:00 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>

>>> Aren't you askig the wrong list?
>>>

>> The filesystem is vfat, files are being deleted from within Linux using
>> Linux tools and the partition just happens to be a Windows installation* but
>> could be any generic storage device. So, no.
>>
>> I presume you are implying that I ask on a Windows list. Please correct me
>> if I am wrong. If I am not, it would be the wrong list to ask about using dd
>> to delete files, unless dd is developed, or at least also being supported,
>> by MS.
>>
>> * yes, I am aware of the OS holding some information. But if you read my
>> original post (and the one after that) carefully, the scope of the security
>> is quite limited.
>>

> Not to oversimplify the situation, but focusing on the OP's original post,
> why not boot to Windows, run the Eraser program (licensed under the GNU GPL)

er ... there is a fundamental problem with that. The machine in which
the disk was being used is not currently functional due to a problem
with the power supply. So I can't really do that at this moment
(otherwise I would have done something from within Windows). Now, if
push comes to shove, and I really really have only that method to
follow, then I will have to use a power supply from a good machine to
make the older machine boot up ... when a good machine becomes available
for this.

I followed up with the dd method yesterday. Basically, I did this:
$> sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/windowsdata/zeros.bin bs=4096k
count=N1; rm -f /media/windowsdata/zeros.bin
$> sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/windowsxp/zeros.bin bs=4096k count=N2;
rm /media/windowsxp/zeros.bin

where how to determine N1 and N2 based on the free space available and
the type of the filesystem is left as an exercise to the reader. :)

I wasn't aware of the application you mentioned. Thanks to you, now I am.

Regards.

ever having been read.