From: Brad Rogers on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 12:15:33 +0100
Barry Samuels <barry(a)beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:

Hello Barry,

> That's not fair! It's prettier than mine. :-))

:-)

At least a few others have suggested diagnostics that will help
eliminate/prove causes.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Dream on white boy, dream on black girl
Original Sin - INXS
From: Merciadri Luca on
Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 14:24:03 +0200
> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:
>
> Hello Merciadri,
>

> Given that I'm using the correct driver for my printer (a fact I
> neglected to mention), and another HP printer is suffering similar
> issues would indicate (to me at least) the fault is not the driver, but
> somewhere else in the chain. I have no proof of that, I'm simply
> working on "gut feeling".
>
> Given hplip's behaviour in the past(0), my instinct is to blame that.
>
> (0) Here, it's been not working at all, only working if the printer is
> on before hplip starts, only showing print jobs but not ink/head status,
> never working with a parallel printer, only USB......

That is a really strange problem. Have you tried your printer on another
computer? (Basic question, I know, but we sometimes forget.)

For example, I tried `CUPS + Gutenprint' for my L7500, and the output
was pretty bad. I tried many other variants, and `Footmatic/hpijs' was
the best (it was apparently the recommended one). How is the printer
connected to the computer? I have no experience with laser printers.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Barry Samuels on
On 26/05/10 12:08:23, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:26:54 +0100, Barry Samuels wrote:
>
> > I use Debian Testing/Squeeze with the 2.6.32 kernel, hplip and
> > hplip-cups. My printer is a networked HP LaserJet 4500 colour laser.
> >
> > I get a strange print output sometimes where parts of the background
> > are black where it should be white. This only occurs on areas which
> > are empty i.e. there is nothing there to print. The areas which have
> > text do have a white background.
>
> (...)
>
> Make a quick test: create a new printer using CUPS interface (select a
> PS driver) and try to print the same page with the newly created
> printer to see if it happens the same.
> --
> Camaleón

I created a new CUPS printer using the Generic Postscript driver and it
does not appear to produce the problem. Printing a test page from the CUPS
maintenance screen it prints perfectly but in monochrome only.

Printing a spreadsheet using this printer doesn't produce the problem
either but I did select 'Postscript 2' and 'Colour' rather than 'from
driver' and it did print colour.

It does look like the HPLIP driver is causing the problem.

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk

On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:16:29 +0100, Barry Samuels wrote:

> On 26/05/10 12:08:23, Camaleón wrote:

>> (...)
>>
>> Make a quick test: create a new printer using CUPS interface (select a
>> PS driver) and try to print the same page with the newly created
>> printer to see if it happens the same. --
>> Camaleón
>
> I created a new CUPS printer using the Generic Postscript driver and it
> does not appear to produce the problem. Printing a test page from the
> CUPS maintenance screen it prints perfectly but in monochrome only.
>
> Printing a spreadsheet using this printer doesn't produce the problem
> either but I did select 'Postscript 2' and 'Colour' rather than 'from
> driver' and it did print colour.
>
> It does look like the HPLIP driver is causing the problem.

I avoid using HPLIP for our HP laserjet b/w and colour printers. We have
4050, 4100, 42100 and 4600 printers in the office.

Printers like these ones, which have a very good support for PostScript,
have been working without glitches for years using just CUPS and PPD
files. PostScript driver can be slow with some works but delivers the
best printing quaility.

Sure, there is no fancy monitor status displaying the toner levels but
you can always check that in the embedded webserver of the printer or by
printing a status page :-)

I would only use HPLIP for multi-function devices for cartridge cleaning,
printer calibration, fax facilities and so on... but laser printers do
not need all that stuff at all :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:33:38 +0200
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

Hello Merciadri,

> That is a really strange problem. Have you tried your printer on
> another computer? (Basic question, I know, but we sometimes forget.)

Unfortunately, that's not possible, as I don't have access to another
computer to try it on.

> connected to the computer? I have no experience with laser printers.

Via USB, as hplip doesn't recognise parallel printers [at least from
Debian repos](0). Barry's is the laser printer, mine's an inkjet.

[0] It is possible to use parallel printers with hplip but, by default,
the ability is off at compile time. I've never pursued the issue the
the Debian maintainer but guess he doesn't enable the feature.

I also want to go direct to HP to use hplip since their way uses a
very unDebian like install method. On top of that, I already install
four packages manually, and don't wish to make that five.

Finally, for me, this is a minor 'nit' as I don't do a great deal of
printing. I can see though, it would be costly for users that make a
lot of use of their printer(s).

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is