From: Barry Samuels on
I use Debian Testing/Squeeze with the 2.6.32 kernel, hplip and hplip-cups.
My printer is a networked HP LaserJet 4500 colour laser.

I get a strange print output sometimes where parts of the background are
black where it should be white. This only occurs on areas which are empty
i.e. there is nothing there to print. The areas which have text do have a
white background.

The easiest way to understand is to look at this image of a printed page:

http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk/system/print-sample.jpg

All those black bands and lines shouldn't be there i.e. they should all be
white.

If I print a CUPS test page it prints perfectly. If I print a text
document from the OpenOffice word processor this effect does not show but
if I print a spreadsheet from OpenOffice it does show.

A print from the Iceweasel browser shows some thin lines on the outer
edges only and printing from a PDF document using the Adobe Reader
produces the black baground effect.

It's all rather baffling and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk

On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:26:54 +0100
Barry Samuels <barry(a)beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:

Hello Barry,

> It's all rather baffling and any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.

I don't have an answer, but I can tell you it's not 'just you'.

Using an HP 1200 Business Inkjet, hplip & Cups I get similar things.
The only difference being that the unwanted background here is printed
in yellow.

I wouldn't mind, but ink and toner cost money. :-(

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

The public gets what the public wants
Going Underground - The Jam
From: Camaleón on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:26:54 +0100, Barry Samuels wrote:

> I use Debian Testing/Squeeze with the 2.6.32 kernel, hplip and
> hplip-cups. My printer is a networked HP LaserJet 4500 colour laser.
>
> I get a strange print output sometimes where parts of the background are
> black where it should be white. This only occurs on areas which are
> empty i.e. there is nothing there to print. The areas which have text do
> have a white background.

(...)

Make a quick test: create a new printer using CUPS interface (select a PS
driver) and try to print the same page with the newly created printer to
see if it happens the same.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 26/05/10 11:52:22, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:26:54 +0100
> Barry Samuels <barry(a)beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:
> > It's all rather baffling and any suggestions would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> I don't have an answer, but I can tell you it's not 'just you'.
>
> Using an HP 1200 Business Inkjet, hplip & Cups I get similar things.
> The only difference being that the unwanted background here is printed
> in yellow.

That's not fair! It's prettier than mine. :-))

It's nice to know I'm not alone and I did wonder if it might be the
driver although I can't imagine it being released, even for Squeeze, with
such glaring faults.

--
Barry Samuels

Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:26:54 +0100
> Barry Samuels <barry(a)beenthere.mail1.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello Barry,
>

>> It's all rather baffling and any suggestions would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>

> I don't have an answer, but I can tell you it's not 'just you'.
>
> Using an HP 1200 Business Inkjet, hplip & Cups I get similar things.
> The only difference being that the unwanted background here is printed
> in yellow.
>
> I wouldn't mind, but ink and toner cost money. :-(

Are not you having some CUPS driver problem? I had to try many different
ones for my HP OfficeJet Pro L7500 to make it work correctly.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.