From: Stan Hoeppner on
Usman Ajmal put forth on 3/27/2010 5:32 AM:
> Thanks a lot Hoeppner.

You're welcome. Glad it got ya going. :)

> After reviewing the blog post you posted, I passed "reboot=bios" to the
> kernel. After which when i rebooted my system, it did not hang.
>
> :)

I wish I could take more credit. That blog post was the 3rd Google hit
searching for "linux hangs on reboot". ;)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=linux+hangs+on+reboot

I wish Google was this helpful/quick/easy for all of my searches...

--
Stan

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 01:14:30 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Usman Ajmal put forth on 3/26/2010 6:32 AM:
>>
>> I have Debian installed on two computers. On one of them it reboots quite
>> finely but I am having following problem with rebooting Debian on my second
>> computer.
>>
>> When i type reboot at the linux prompt, following messages appear and system
>> hangs up after saying "Restarting System":
>
> http://blogs.koolwal.net/2009/08/04/howto-fix-linux-hangfreeze-during-reboots-and-restarts/

Nice link, Stan.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

On Fri,26.Mar.10, 11:53:20, Stephen Powell wrote:

> from their system menus. "reboot" should not be issued from the command
> line. "reboot" is issued as the final command in the final script
> (/etc/rc6.d/S90reboot) run during a clean system shutdown by one of the
> above methods.

Nitpick:

,----[ halt(8) ]
| If halt or reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6,
| in other words when it's running normally, shutdown will be invoked
| instead (with the -h or -r flag).
`----

Regards,
Andrei
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:39:06 -0400 (EDT), Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri,26.Mar.10, 11:53:20, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> "reboot" should not be issued from the command
>> line. "reboot" is issued as the final command in the final script
>> (/etc/rc6.d/S90reboot) run during a clean system shutdown by one of the
>> above methods.
>
> [ halt(8) ]
> If halt or reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6,
> in other words when it's running normally, shutdown will be invoked
> instead (with the -h or -r flag).

+1

Very good! I see I didn't dig deeply enough.