From: Merciadri Luca on
Sorry, Icedove's bug.

Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:47:26 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

> Then I dunno :-?
>
> I know wifi connections are a bunch of problems but ethernet link should
> be fine.
>
> Some tips:
>
> 1/ When you experience the network glitches, try to ping to some site or
> download e-mails to check if the lag is present in another connections or
> just browsing.
That is what I did. No ping answer, whatever the IP or DNS. Just as if I
was not connected. But my router is still connected to the WAN, and the
router is still connected to the LAN.

> 2/ If you are using networkmanager to manage the network, try to switch
> to ifup method, far more reliable.
I tried too, sorry. :-(

> 3/ Change DNS servers and test with others.
You mean that I should try others DNS servers from my ISP? What would it
change? I shall try, but I need to know their IPs.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Merciadri Luca on
--=20
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-04-15 06:38, Merciadri Luca wrote:
[snip]
> That is what I did. No ping answer, whatever the IP or DNS. Just as if I
> was not connected. But my router is still connected to the WAN, and the
> router is still connected to the LAN.

Hmph...

Before opening the pages, start capturing packets (using wireshark
if you must, or tshark from the CLI).

Your symptoms *probably* happen to me, but I just accept it as part
of Firefox's poor threading.

For example, if I "kill -15" the Iceweasel pid then exit the GUI to
apt-get upgrade and then restart xfce and Iceweasel, all the (4 or
5) windows and (total of 20-50) tabs restore. It takes 3-4 minutes
for all of them to complete loading.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-04-15 06:38, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Hmph...
>
> Before opening the pages, start capturing packets (using wireshark if
> you must, or tshark from the CLI).
I will try this.

> Your symptoms *probably* happen to me, but I just accept it as part of
> Firefox's poor threading.
>
> For example, if I "kill -15" the Iceweasel pid then exit the GUI to
> apt-get upgrade and then restart xfce and Iceweasel, all the (4 or 5)
> windows and (total of 20-50) tabs restore. It takes 3-4 minutes for
> all of them to complete loading.
That is a good example of a massive tab load. If I have so many tabs
opened, and that I kill the resp. pid, I can restore the tabs, just as
you do, and then the whole connection stalls. Nothing loads, and each
URL keeps its name, not the page's title.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Camaleón on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:38:24 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> Some tips:
>>
>> 1/ When you experience the network glitches, try to ping to some site
>> or download e-mails to check if the lag is present in another
>> connections or just browsing.

> That is what I did. No ping answer, whatever the IP or DNS. Just as if I
> was not connected. But my router is still connected to the WAN, and the
> router is still connected to the LAN.

Ugh.

Then the origin of the problem can be in the router itself.

Look into the router's options (QoS, firewall settings, logs...) to check
if you can tune some of these parameters.

It happens to me very frequently that the router NAT tables are filled up
and momentary I loose Internet connection. This happens in a local
network with many clients (a busy router) but I won't discard something
similar is happening here.

Also, search into the manufacturer site for a firmware update.

You can also test with another computer connected to the same router to
see if it happens the same and so discard any configuration problem in
the machine.

>> 3/ Change DNS servers and test with others.

> You mean that I should try others DNS servers from my ISP? What would it
> change? I shall try, but I need to know their IPs.

If a ping does not work, it's a bad sign (I mean, not a DNS issue).

Anyway, yes, you can use whatever DNS server you want, they do not need
to be the ones your ISP provides.

I.e., you can use openDNS public servers (208.67.222.222-208.67.220.220)
or Google's ones (8.8.8.8-8.8.4.4).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón